Hercules Gap Bed Lathe info wanted

Its 14 x 40 MDL 105/12 at an auction 4 hours from here out in the
middle of nowhere. Nobody around here has ever heard of this brand.
Anyone with any experience with them? We're wanting it for turning the
OD on rifle barrels(modifying the shape not making barrels) and various
odd jobs around the shop.
Ken
Reply to
clannorm
Are you sure it isn't "Hercus" rather than Hercules? They made Hercus lathes in Australia up until about 10 or 15 years ago. I think you can still buy them but they've been made in Taiwan for a long time now.
Tom
Reply to
Tom Miller
I am only sure that they spelled it "Hercules". would you know if they are metric being some Aussi brand?
Reply to
clannorm
There was a brand of blacksmith's power hammers called "Hercules". Some of the Hurcus lathes were metric, some were imperial. It was the alter ones that were metric. Have a look on
Geoff
Reply to
geoff m
Yes, I have used one. Nice machine. The one I ran was new in 69 or 70. I wouldn't be hesitate to buy it, if it was in good shape.
This Webb by Takisawa looks just like the Hercules lathe I ran, only it had 48" centers.
This Hercules lathe is larger, but looks about the same as the 14" lathe.
Some Ebay auction connect Sharp brand lathes to Takisawa.
Richard W.
Reply to
Richard W.