Hey Gunner

Still got any of that rifle brass ? I inherited my dad's 7.7 Jap and need som ammo for it . You probably don't have any 7.7 , but 30-06 cases can be resized and trimmed to fit . Don't need a lot , maybe a box or 2 .

Reply to
Snag

====================

Thread hijack alert.

This just in -- Dear Shooting Sports USA digital subscriber,

Your NEW digital issue is now available.

Please go to: Your NEW Shooting Sports USA Digital Edition

If you have trouble with the link above, paste -

into your browser to view this issue. Be sure to tell your family and friends to sign up for their NB ==>FREE Shooting Sports USA digital edition at

F. George McDuffee

Ouch , ouch , and OUCH! I think I'll call my brother and tell him he's gotta send me some of the Norma stuff he got . I doubt he's even fired his ... I have fired mine , some converted '06 brass - not by me BTW . This stuff had issues , like split necks , shoulder separations , and cratered primers that told me it was loaded way too hot . The rifle was a good one , Dad used it for deer until he bought an '06 in '64 . Never had any case/headspace issues that I knew of . I guess I could pull the slugs and dump the powder out of the rest of these, anneal the neck/shoulder and reload ...

Reply to
Snag

Hayseuss Crisco, TWO BUCKS APIECE, for UNprimed brass?

Will I see that before Christmas? Huh? Huh? Huh? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK , now that I can probably get past the boss . Times be really tight right now . I'm building a house ... well the beginnings of one . Good time for it too , since there's like zero work this time of year . You want a check ? My reply-to is good , checked semi-regularly . --

Snag

Reply to
Snag

Oh, just an aside about the vendor, I've never seen anything at all cheaper at CheaperThanDirt. Every single item I've looked for was

30-150% more expensive there.

And don't buy a car from Honest Harry, or legal work from Integrity Speakingweasels, etc.

Reply to
Larry Jaques
[ ... ]

Also -- remember to pop out the primers before you start to anneal, or things might get exciting -- even if you do the "stand in a shallow pan of water, heat the part above the water, and then tip them over. :-)

How much difficulty you have popping the primers out will give a clue as to whether the primer pockets are loose, too.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Good point , but I think I'll fire them first - no powder , just the primers . If the pockets are tight it could get exciting punching them out too ...

Reply to
Snag

The Army didn't have to extend the safety zone at rifle ranges when they adopted the .30-06 because it had about the same maximum range as the 45-70, since the lighter bullets slow down much more rapidly.

The later 174 grain bullet had less drag and did carry beyond the safety zone when fired at towed aerial targets.

"Its maximum range was approximately 5,500 yd (5,030 m). An emergency order was made to manufacture quantities of ammunition that matched the external ballistics of the earlier M1906 cartridge as soon as possible. ... Its maximum range was approximately 3,450 yd (3,150 m)."

"The heavier 500-grain (32 g) bullet produced significantly superior ballistics, and could reach ranges of 3,350 yards (3,120 m), ..."

-J. Hatcher

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Har! What do those rounds cost you, maybe 25 cents?

Is he shooting .223?

Yeah, and the old Russky Mosins still kick a round out a whole long way for pennies on the dollar, comparatively. I love my little SKS, though. It may not be as accurate as a bolt gun, but it's a sweetheart to shoot.

On a really sour note, the local newspapers are calling SKSs "machine guns" after a transient asshole killed a 5 y/o girl with one last year. The terms went from "rifle" to "assault rifle" to "machine gun". The gun was "being used as a crutch to get up from the couch", or it "fell down the stairs", depending on who you read. Fookin' morons.

NY Daily News used a left-handed bolt hunting rifle pic.

Danke. I ordered a $7.90 USB IDE SATA adapter today. I just hope the

2.5" drive survives the trip with a bunch of files and rasps. =:0

We have a snow storm scheduled for tonight, so I can't sympathize with you too awfully much today.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I did notice the problem with the metric conversions in the Wikis but suppressed my impulse to confirm them before posting. The correct value for the 45-70 is 3,063 meters rather than 3,120. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Did. I didn't know ARs were built in such large calibers and had thought you were talking about a second gun of his. My bad. I wouldn't want to feel the kick of that .458 mule, brother.

Truth in advert...um, news.

My wildly beating heart thanks you.

We don't often get it, maybe every 2-3 years for a day or three. It is a PITA when it does drop. It hadn't snowed in Vista but did so the second year I was there. Blew everyone away. Schools closed for several days after they shut us down for having snowball fights. Lots of teachers got nailed from behind for some reason.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Kills at one end and maims at the other, eh?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Email sent , with an offer to swap .

Reply to
Snag

Yeah, you guys can have your mean old bolt guns. I'll pick one up from a bad guy I take down with the little SKS. Just in case I need a real long reach. But nowadays, I can't see that far, anyway, even with my bifocals.

I viewed one of YouTube's .458 Socom vids and it showed one penetrating a kevlar helmet and bouncing off the other side. I don't think I'd want to take a hit from one, even with the helmet on, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I probably dislike mule guns because of my first experience with a rifle. Dad and I were at the Air Police range when I was young, (7-10?) and a guy with a 30.06 asked if I'd like to shoot it. Of course I did. He told me to hold it away from my shoulder and my goddamned father didn't stop him or me. It knocked me flat on my ass and I couldn't even use my right arm for a week. It still bothers me on cold, wet days. I'd like to have been large enough to have flattened the MF right then and there. Dad went to his grave with me still pissed about it. Yeah, I like my little SKS, thanks. It kisses my shoulder and can reach out many hundreds of yards just fine.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Indeed.

The way it explodes, or I should say "vaporizes", watermelons, I'd guess it would sever a limb pretty easily. It's a mean round.

Yeah, accuracy has its moments, but within 200yds, almost any scoped rifle will handle that.

What did you think of the West article re: Backdoor Gun Control? Banning lead, calling full copper bullets "cop killers", etc. are all leading to no bullets...as a design.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Day before yesterday I melted down about 50-60 lbs of wheel weights , to add to my stockpile of bullet material . The only BP shooting component I can't produce at home now is the percussion caps . I guess I should stock up more of those , I've only got a few hundred . Everybody else up here is using inlines , with 209 primers , pellet powder , and sabots . Mine's a sidelock with patched balls . The wheel weights will be cast into 150 gr .308/.311's for sub loads .

Reply to
Snag

Given the idiocy of the current non-Liberals, I'm not so sure the elections will turn out as well as hoped. Cross your appendages.

They're hard to come by. Most of the tire store guys have reloading friends and they're gone by the time someone else asks for lead. ONe store said they can't give it away, either, due to lead regulations. What's the gummint going to do with it, I wonder?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The balls and slugs for my BP guns are cast from reclaimed lead pipe and shower pans . Pure or very close to pure lead . And both C&B revolvers are 1860 Army , steel frame with top strap .

I have molds for most of the calibers I still shoot .

Right now the only ones I'd gas-check are the .308's , and those only so I can get closer to the potential of the cartridge . Hmmm , and I have a small arbor press that'd be ideal for this .

Reply to
Snag