HF truck crane

If I did it again I'd use 1-1/2" square steel tubing for both cross members. I made the front one out of 1/2" x 2" steel bar which matches the thickness of the plywood liner but a thicker, stronger support would be better than a flat surface since the load can be lifted over the bar. The rear tube is reinforced with 1" square stock from the crane base to a little past the nearest bed bolt and it is very solid but the 1/2" bar isn't really stiff enough.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Wayne, thanks. I think that I will just give up.

Ignoramus1285

What kind of bumper do you have? Reese style square receiver maybe?

I would look into building one from scratch to use the square receiver and another good size support (like another square tube to add bracing support). Some modification to the HF versions could be done too. Most square receivers are good for ~1000 lbs tongue weight.

This way you can take it off and set it aside when you are not using it.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

But not for twisting, and also, the crane should be on the side, not in the middle.

Ignoramus1285

No, don't give up. Go find a pickup with a 5th wheel trailer hitch. You will find some with mounting rails in the bed. You can do something similar for your crane mounting. The 5th wheel hitch takes a LOT more torque than your crane will ever produce and doe it day in and day out.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

That is why I mentioned you need an outrigger. It will add support and stop the twisting. Whatever you lift will be twisted around and dropped on the bed anyway, so think about it, do you really need to have it off to the side?

You could build it slightly offset from the center too with an outrigger. It really just depends on how solidly you mount the extra tube/receiver. If the second tube is mounted as good as the hitch you could center your crane over that tube and use the hitch as the out rigger, if you really want it off to the side.

I have a farmer neighbor that carries a full-size 4x4 ATV off the back of his truck with a dual tube system. It hangs out the full length of the ATV and he uses separate ramps to load it. Don't under estimate how much a good tube system can support...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I mount one on top of my 4 story apartment building. Then I mounted a electric winch to the end of the boom. I was able to get all the redwood lumber for a 700 sq ft roof deck up with great ease. Saved my back.

Ignoramus10340 wrote:

Reply to
Shabtai Evan

Harold, Sorry I realized after I wrote that that B&S was wrong - it is a Boyer Schultz (sp?) from here in Chicago. It is a 6 x 12 so it is only a little one. I don't really have any idea as I haven't gotten together with the fellow I got them from to get the manuals and extra bits.

rem

Reply to
Rob Morden

I find my engine hoist makes a great rigging tool, and it's portable.

Reply to
Tony

If you look at a properly mounted 5th wheel hitch you'll find that it's attached to the frame under the bed. I say properly mounted because I have seen some that where just bolted to the bed (scary).

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I looked under the bed, in the back and to the side, last night. There are not good attachment points to attach to frame.

Ignoramus1192

Yep, I'm familiar with the Boyar Schultz grinders. Nice little machines, but not as robust as Brown & Sharpe. My moneys still thinks it would weigh more than 700, but then I'm not familiar with any of the manual models. All that I have operated were hydraulic 6 x 18.

Regards,

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I came across a 5/8" thick, approximately 12x13" in size, steel plate. It came in a "mystery lot" that was auctioned without picture.

I doubt that it is enough for the crane, but it could be a start.

Ignoramus21991