Hickeys

    I remember a few months back a long discussion of people looking for where to buy hickys (conduit benders). People were failing in lots
of places which used to work.
    Well ... recently, I was in "Home Despot" getting some electrical fixtures (outlets, boxes, etc) and noticed at the end of the asile where the wire and conduit type fittings were, a display of three sizes of hickys -- 1/2", 3/4" and 1".
    So -- they *are* out there, and not in a particularly esoteric place.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

They have gooses' bridles over in the outdoor section, too.
LLoyd
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 05:49:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

We, um, won't ask -why- you knew that, Lloyd. ;)
--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
On 10/24/2016 11:57 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

I recall the general thread but wasn't it a particular one somewhat out of the run-of-the-mill the OP was looking for????
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:05:15 -0500

Yeah, he wanted one that would work with 1/2 inch EMT (thin wall). All he could find were for 1/2 inch ridged.
He did find one eventually in someones old stock at a reasonable price, if I remember correctly...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:05:15 -0500

Yeah, he wanted one that would work with 1/2 inch EMT (thin wall). All he could find were for 1/2 inch ridged.
Not that it matters but wasn't it t'other way 'round? EMT is pretty common; as noted the box stores have them...rigid, "not so much" any more; they expect you to buy the prefab bends, etc., it seems...plus, it's a lot more work to bend even 1/2" rigid...
(yeah, I'm hangin' around this am inside waiting for a service rep call, looking for diversion while waiting... :) )
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:05:28 -0500
<snip>

All true but EMT is harder to bend without kinking. I suspect that there was a change made in the Electric Code too. Something like minimum radius for 1/2 inch EMT that would be easy to violate with this Hickey.
I tried finding some at the time and all I came up with were for 1/2 inch ridged. Which would also work with 3/4 inch EMT in theory...

Good luck with the waiting. Getting anyone to call or email ME back nowadays is pretty rare...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 10/25/2016 9:40 AM, Leon Fisk wrote: ...

Ah, yeah, I forgotted--it was the very tight bends OP was after was the prime problem...

It's all fixed now, without a daisy chain of pull boxes.
Here's something else I came across, elsewhere. The colors are a bit off from adjusting the pic so you could see the secret outlet.
http://www.panix.com/~presence/amazing-outlet.jpg
My guess is something once plugged into that outlet and ran into the box below, and there may have been a cover in place. Still super weird.
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:01:55 +0000 (UTC)
<snip>

I like it. Nice way to keep people from unplugging something that shouldn't be. Once you put the cover on no one would suspect it was there :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 10/25/2016 12:45 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

What I was thinking, too...and mounting the handy box inside the larger at 90 degrees does leave enough room for the plugs and the cover...looks to me like probably they had to either thread the cord through and reconnect at the business to use a molded, integral plug though??? Not enough conduit diameter to feed a plug thru, is there???
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:56:45 -0500

<<snip>>

Yeah, my thoughts too that you would still have to wire in a plug/cable. A larger entryway would be better, big enough to fish a plug through.
Just something I hadn't seen before and probably wouldn't have thought up myself. Filed away in my head now in case one day it might be useful ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 10/26/2016 7:16 AM, Leon Fisk wrote: ...

I'd not either, not sure I'd'a thunk of it also, but it surely made me think of my dad -- be something he'd come up with, likely! :) There are a lot of home-engineered solutions around the farmstead that are just duck-soup simple but effective similar to that one...but it wouldn't have surprised me to see something like that at several of the utility generation plants for an instrumentation installation that wasn't intended necessarily as permanent. Did a lot of one-of-a-kind tests over the years in the former consulting life where might need to take lab instrumentation to the boiler floor such that a temporary rigging similar to the above would be "the cat's meow"...
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:23:48 -0500

That's kinda funny, my Dad was the same way. A lot of his solutions were far from elegant or pretty but got the job done...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

My dad didn't have a 'hickey', but understood the need and purpose of EMT... so he packed his (hard!) with sand, and bent them around a barn post.
Hey... it worked! Washing the sand back out was a chore, though.
Lloyd

I checked the rest of the pics from that weird setup and it makes a bit more sense now with some context.
The unused electrical box below was probably for an alarm or access system for a bank vault. It's possible they had to secure the power plug, but would/could not allow third party people to hardwire stuff into the building. Keycard/door systems and even phone PBXs that mount on those plywood boards sometimes seem to be configured where everything looks permanent but it's all running off a dedicated outlet you can just unplug.
If the second big box was not there, there would be room for a metal cover on the wall plug. Also get around the cord through a cover.
I can see where that would be useful. Child proofing. Have the plug in and cover on, have the plug out and the cover on. The cord would be captive in a plastic squeeze down feed through.
Martin
On 10/25/2016 4:56 PM, dpb wrote:

It was me. I was looking for the fabled 1/2" EMT hickey. You can still get rigid 1/2" and up hickeys.
Finally I found an old stock Ideal cast iron hickey made for 1/2 EMT. Let's just say it's more of a tubing collapser than bender, but if you crawl the hook along the bend you can get a much tighter radius than with a normal bender.

They have ALWAYS been readilly available if you know anything at all about buying tools and electrical supplies. You won't find them at WallMart - - -