Hickeys

Labeling was no problem, but only being able to pull three wires at a time, instead of 10 meant that it took more than three times as long to make and test the huge harness. I not only labeled each conductor at each end, I covered each label with cleat heatshrink, and tinned the ends.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can only imagine.

Did you wear out a number-style label maker? I hated old Mercenary's Bends (IIRC) repairs because of the numbered wires. Man, that was a crispy old memory. Crap like this:

Our military used the same method long ago.

And I remember cringing as a kid, when I saw the phone repairman with the big fat bundle of tiny wires all splayed out.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You COULD have bought more than one roll of each color - this would reduce the time spent = quite possibly enough to pay for any waste wire left over after the job (which could be used on another job, anyway)

Reply to
clare

I remember when I worked at a place which was making flight simulators for the Navy, the cable harnesses had gazillions of 22 ga white wires which were run through a machine which hot-stamped a number every few inches -- and each wire had a different number, which matched numbers in wire lists and on schematics. (Typical connectors were 104 pin rectangular ones with crimp-on pins.) The harness in the cockpit was mostly the same 22 ga wires, in a bundle about 8" diameter.

But the phone company has a good system for keeping track of the wires. 25 pair per sub-bundle, with each pair being made of a particular pair of colors, and beyond that, a pair of colored thread bundles wrapped around that, to distinguish bundles, following the same color pattern.

The fun ones were more recent ones which had all the wires embedded in clear silicone grease -- really messy to handle.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Icky-pick, see:

I was a two-way radio tech. The phone techs I had to work with had their own vocabulary or rather slang. Icky-pick was one of them. Along with dry pair, short, boot, tip, ring... always a lot of fun trying to communicate back in forth in our individual terms ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Jim Wilkins

I've not even bothered to try to get net 30 terms lately as it's just too much of a hassle. With small places, if you are a regular, they just offer it, no big deal. With any "corporate" type place there's 3 pages of forms. I guess you can use NEBs or U-Line as credit reference, but I doubt they'd reply to any such request. FWIW NEBs the check printer and U-Line the packing supply place offers net 30 to anybody that can manage to just ask them for it.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Awful. Did you do colored tape wraps, like phone cable?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

This is a great doc on bending. Thanks.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

What were some of these tricks?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:nvalkp $9ri$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.panix.com:

A few of them include putting 'kinks' in the inner part of the curve, in order to reduce the radius.

A _good_ guy will put all the kinks in the direction such that the folds don't interfere with pushing a bundle through, or sucking a rat through.

But as long as the kinks don't use up enough internal volume, it's usually still pretty easy to push wire through, because the wire wants to follow the o.d., not the i.d.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Bending thin wall for the visual folks...

Steve W.

Mostly good for just the first bend on the end of a pipe...

You can usually gain 1/2 to 3/4 inch by starting with the conduit farther back, not flush with the end of the bender. Also, you can make the bend and then hacksaw off some of the end. Helps to have the fitting you're going to use handy for testing. Use pliers to reshape the end, remove some of the oval created by bending. Sometimes that gain, maybe an inch or so was helpful to get something to fit in a tight spot.

What Lloyd said if your not at an end. I would give your new hickey a try, see what you can do after making a standard bend. Would love to have tried that back in the day :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On 11/01/2016 12:56 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote: ...

None here that I trade with regularly are "small-enough" to have such open accounts as used to be common in the '40s/'50s/'60s but otoh none that have had to deal with new forms changing names or businesses changing hands have been more than one page at most. Even Stanion's new one is one page only.

I've no trouble with enough local accounts to list as references plus bank is locally owned and know them quite well so don't expect any real hassles other than just having to go to the trouble of listing them down again -- I don't have them memorized nor in a database although guess this'll be the impetus for at least making a listing of the contact info for future reference now...

It'd be such a hassle to have to always be sure had either checkbook or even wallet every time had to run to town for parts or somesuch during day if didn't have accounts; I generally don't carry such on me while working, too much likelihood of never finding if were to lose it somewhere so just generally don't. If I'm planning ahead it's not so bad, but much of what happens is spur-of-moment need that occurs because something breaks or the like...

I had more difficulties with some suppliers for the technical consulting gig when dealing with instrumentation so could manage to invoice clients prior to having to pay distributors more like your above, though. When the existing contracts had in place when returned to the farm came to an end, however, I let them all lapse and have reverted fully to the farming enterprise since as it requires no travel (other than to/from the field and lots of back'n forth or 'round 'n 'round therein, anyways! :) ).

Reply to
dpb

Interesting - take the hickey to an existing bend, I could see that working nicely. It's real finicky otherwise.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

With the interest rates as low as they are today I just put everything on my card - which gives me up to 30 days - and I only need to sign one check each month. I get "points" on the card that more than make up for any "lost interest" from not keeping my money in the bank for another month.

A few places where i HAD 30 day terms I just switched over to my card.

Reply to
clare

On 11/01/2016 4:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Many of the farm supply places don't take cards and/or if used them that way would be _way_ over even the most generous of limits have on any of 'em.

The other is that there are those like Stanion that it makes big pricing differential on whether you're on their "magic list" or not.

The 30-day float is, agreed, pretty much nil at current rates; that's not the reason for open accounts, at least for me, altho for major items it's sometimes needed to arrange for there to be cash in the proper account at the time it's needed--when a single tractor refueling is in the multi-hundred $$ range, monthly bills during active seasons are sizable and while they're one of the constants, they're certainly not the only...

Reply to
dpb

You just don't have good enough credit. I could buy any of my vehicles with the lowest limit card I carry.. I could have bought my first house under the limit of my higher one.

I'm on th "magic list" with several suppliers where I use my card.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Pffft! I bought a new(ish) Chevy Suburban on a credit card. HAVING a credit card isn't the trick -- keeping it paid-down is the trick!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Haven't carried a balance for 10? years. Never carried a balance 2 months in a row.

Reply to
clare