High speed spindle

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCB-CARBIDE-ENGRAVING-CNC-ROUTER-CUTTER-TOOL-20-degree-/370349200329 http://cgi.ebay.com/10-cnc-router-blade-engraver-engraving-tool-PCB-cutter-/160463849218 http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBIDE-TIN-COATED-ENGRAVING-ROUTER-DEBURRING-CUTTERS-/270239554051 http://cgi.ebay.com/5x-CNC-Carbide-Engraving-Cutter-Two-Spiral-Flute-30-/180519440864
Its likely Iggy can find cutters cheaper at some of his auctions or from some of his contacts from the auctions.
Gunner
--

"First Law of Leftist Debate

What I means was using a small end mill to mill various shapes, such as text (as in making panels), or 3D patterns, like toys.
I think that this Bosch Colt palm router is the nicest cheap high speed motor, because:
1) It is relatively compact (unlike those die grinders), so I can mount it next to the quill and I do not need a lot of headroom for it. 2) It is a Bosch 3) It has a high horsepower (compared to alternatives) 4) It has variable speed 5) It has a very nice straight round neck for mounting 6) It is only $100-116. 7) It has a 1/4" collet.
I have realized that I already have a router called Bosch 1617EVS:
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
This is a real "no shit" powerful machine. If I can fit it near the quill, which I cannot see any I couldn't, it would work very well. Its speed range is 8,000 to 25,000 RPM, which is somewhat better than 16,000 to 30,000 of the "palm router". It has 1/2" and 1/4" collets, and smaller collets are also available from, e.g.,
http://gpcollets.com/bsch_cross.html?gclid=COeJoPq8uaACFRQWawodhCDwTA
If I can fit it next to the quill, it will be a very decent setup. All I would need to do is make an adapter plate.

http://www.bigkaiser.com/air-power-spindle.php http://www.airturbinetools.com /
Sittingduck, if he is still around, might have some suggestions. Quack!
I cross posted this to a.m.c.
Wes

Wow, this is far beyond my budget...

I'm not Duck but pretty sure your reference is to nsk's "planet" series.
http://www.nskamericacorp.com/prod_machineTool_planet.aspx

That is what I was looking for.
Thanks,
Wes
replying to Ignoramus11933, Steve wrote: I would assume the bracket holding the router in this photo is clamped to the milling machine quill, not the spindle, so no safety interlock should be necessary.
replying to Ignoramus11933, Steve wrote: I would assume the bracket holding the router in this photo is clamped to the milling machine quill, not the spindle, so no safety interlock should be necessary.
Wow Iggy, Sorry I missed this first time around. SNR was to high I guess. I've done a lot of what you want to do. I've even used Bosch Colt routers as mill spindles. Not just for engraving, but for aluminum milling as well. I also made a mount for a spindle mounted to the side of the quill on my knee mill.
I'd note that I have high speed engraved steel, aluminum, and brass. It can come out decent dry, but it looks so much better if milled with flood. I run SC520 and distilled water at 6-8%.
The Bosch Colt will work wonders. I've clocked a few of them from 32-34K at top speed. I've worn out a bunch of them, and I still have one mounted a spindle on my small CNC wood router. It also has its issues. The biggest one is it?s a wide open universal brush motor. You might be able to run flood for engraving as it doesn't throw that much water around with a tiny little engraver or ball mill, but you need to be aware there is a shock risk. If you are tempted to do a little more with it you can. I have, but you will pack them full of chips eventually. I did. If you decided to go with a Bosch Colt Precise Bits in Colorado makes precision tapered collets with their own version of an eccentric ring for that router. Its been a while since I rebuilt one, but I seem to recall it?s a plastic spindle nose as well. If you do really long jobs you can melt it. I have. LOL. I've burned up and wore out a few of them. Porter Cable 690 routers too.
Today I have three mills with 24K water cooled spindles. I use one of them for all my engraving. They do cost a lot more a spindle, but if you all you are doing is engraving any of them will work fine. Your horsepower requirements are miniscule. Almost uncalculateable. A 3 bearing 24K .8kw is overkill and they aren't all that expensive. If you really want to push it they make spindles like that for upto 60K. 24K is plenty for me. I still sometimes do some milling with that machine too.
Somewhere around I have a bracket mount a 65mm .8kw spindle onto 3.375 quill on my Hurco mill. I used it for doing fine detailed 3D milling as well at one time. If I think of it tomorrow I'll see if I can find it and snap a picture.
P.S. I'm not a big fan of Bob Warfield, but he has put together a nice collection of other people's ideas on his website.