Got another Gorton J-22 mill today

It needs a lot of work, but they are fairly easy to work on.

The interesting thing about this one is....its got a Gorton Spring Collet holder sticking out of the spindle.

Spindle is stuck all the way up, so that needs to be addressed, but I was out in the not well lit back 40, and pulled the draw bolt..and a Gorton Spring collet fell out of the holder...which Ive never seen before. I dont know if thats the primary tool holder..or its an adapter stuck in the (unknown) spindle. If anything..it may be a B&S spindle nose..but..getting it out is going to be "interesting"

I checked the Gorton website

But couldnt find any reference to a J-22 having a spring collet spindle nose. Photos to follow tommorow when its light.

Anyone have any idea if such a beasty was built, with a Gorton Spring Collet spindle nose? It "looks" like an adapter sticking out of the ram..but I cant find any sort of release for the adapter.

The machine is pretty rough...been outside for a while....

Oh..I also got a 30 ton Carolina press. Shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

We had a few of the single spindles left around at TRW (El Segundo) back in the late eighties. Ours had dials that measured .125" per turn. What's wrong with this picture:

Some will say, no safety glasses. Others will say," Hey that dude's wearing a tie under that smock". That's just how the trade has changed.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Back then, if he has a tie, must be an engineer.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn