Mystery Gorton J-22 pics

Anyone know what the hell the spindle actually is? Is it really a Gorton Spring Collet and nothing else?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's different than the couple gorton's I've been around.

You piss me off with that nice shop press

If it were me, I'd push that gorton to the scrap iron guy and use the money to buy the large relays you need.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

This gorton is a great part out candidate. The handles and the motor will bring some $$. You can make perhaps $200 in one week and scrap the rest.

Ignoramus28889

Ive seen em in #9 B&S, NTB30 (my current one), NTB40, and R8.

But never this one. I read they also made em in #10 B&S..and Im wondering if there may..may..may be an adapter in there. Ill have to get out when it cools off a bit later today and see what I can find out

If its #9 B&S...its pretty easy to have em ground to R8, which would make it entirely usable

Want my smaller 15 ton?

The current Gorton I have looked worse than this one does. This one seems to have decent spindle bearings, just from spinning them and checking "feel"

It still has the brackets and one DRO rail..so it was DRO equipped at one time. Probably when the ram froze up..they pulled it out of service.

Table feed is "gritty", but they are easy to pull off and check. Local guy who does engine head rebuilding might be interested in it, as a boring machine. Good buddy of mine, shrug..so if I can figure out what the spindle bore is, and get the ram to move...

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Holy Termite Trouble, Batman! Isn't it time to replace that white oak lumber on the bottom of your trailer, mon? It's seen its century of work so far, I'm guessing. Think how much it would cost to replace a block or three of Interstate-5 when that Gorton dropped through onto it, hmm?

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nah..thats not my trailer. Mine has much thinner 1" plywood in it, and only a single axle. That belongs to the guy who I got the mill from.

After that photo was taken, I found him enough near new 2x8s to redo the bottom and a full sheet of 1/4" plate to give it some skin.

Free.

I got it for him, and helped him change it out and set it up.

Thats one of the reasons he brought me the mill and the press, 97 miles north, one way.

Friends help out friends.

And when he left..he left with all sorts of stuff. 5-6 Drill chucks, a case of new surface grinder wheels, 8" lathe chucks... etc etc shrug

Few people come to my house and leave empty.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Whew!

Cool.

I know that as an absolute fact from firsthand experience, my friend.