Hilsch Tubes Revisited

    [ ... ]

    Would that not be "cohesion", not "adhesion" since it is between two pieces of the same metal?
    BTW I've never had a chance to try this, but do steel and carbide and ceramic gauge blocks all wring together cross-species? (All I have are steel ones.) If so, then we can eliminate cohesion as a requirement. :-)

    An honest answer.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

\ I don't remember. It's Friday night, and I've about done thinking for the week. d8-)

Yes, they will all wring together. I've done it. I ran a photo of a mixed stack in _Machine Shop Guide_ many years ago.
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:03:21 -0400, Ed Huntress

Let me amend that: I ran a photo of a stack of ceramic and steel blocks wrung together. No carbide.
Tungsten carbide doesn't wring very well. Chromium carbide gage blocks wring better. Tungsten carbide blocks are usually the square ones with the hole in the middle, for a clamp screw. But regular ones are available, or they were.
--
Ed Huntress

    [ ... ]

    :-)
    O.K. That eliminates the need for cohesion, but adhesion is still a possibility.
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I'll make the lesson real simple, TMT.
Take a workpiece at 100 degrees. Pour 100 degree air over it. How much heat do you remove from the workpiece? Zero.
Reduce the temperature of the air (any amount, but say) to zero degrees.
Pour that air over the workpiece.
Now you answer the question, TMT -- Is any heat removed from the workpiece?
Now, extrapolate that to other relative temperatures...
I'd love to read your conclusion.
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

sorry... that was rude. I was thinking about something stupid TMT wrote, and accidently typed that... (duh)
LLoyd

No prob--it's just something I visited my self many years ago....been there done it..
Even got a near-new exo-air vortex tube sitting in a vidmar that's been used "for evaluation purposes only", to prove it....

Basic thermodynamics..
( yawn ) A workpiece at 100F is in absolutely no danger of causing a problem during machining operations (unless it's something that melts at say 120F ).....

60 degrees worth of difference in air temp is a drop in the bucket, considering that the melting point of the workpiece is nearly 1000 F above the air temp in either case...

Ecnerwal wrote:

Because refrigeration is free? Really? :)
(...)

OK, I'll give you that one.
(...)
My suggestion is just something to try for a few dollars.
If it works for the duration of the project, Bob is not out much money. If it does not work, refrigeration is not going to work either.
One experiment is worth years of theorizing. :)
--Winston