Holding thin shells

Think prop spinner for a model airplane.

Assuming that I'm not making it out of spun metal, the obvious way to proceed is to turn the outside (or inside), then flip the thing over and turn the inside (or outside). Turning the first side is obvious -- but how to hold the work to do the opposite side? Turn the inside, then turn the base of the outside, then make a mandrel that holds the base while I finish turning the nose piece?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Turn the outside and leave a fairly thin flange on the bottom. Flip part over and grip on the flange (I use faceplates for that kind of thing, but each to his own). Bore the inside. Cut off at the flange. This is tricky in a chuck, but not bad with a faceplate.

Reply to
Ed Huntress