Hooks for 1/4" pegboard

Hello all,

I use 1/4" thick pegboard with 1/4" holes in the shop. Most of the hooks I've bought are J-style that look vaguely like this:

-- | | |

Reply to
Terry

Hold the hook with another hand when pulling the tool

Ignoramus27155

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Sell the pegboard and hooks to some other sucker, buy plywood, and use wood screws and wooden blocks or screwed-on metal hooks (which you could bend up with a bending fork, at the risk of being on-topic). Pegboard, at least for me, was a phase that I grew out of, and would have benefitted from never passing through...

Buy more plastic clips. Buy some spring wire and bend up (warning, more on-topic content) metal spring clips to engage two holes as the plastic ones do.

Buy hooks that don't pull out (but of course you already have hooks):

Ecnerwal

This is an idea I learned at an art gallery. They used pegboard mounted over plywood. They drove nails thru the holes into the plywood to hand paintings, and when they pulled the nails, nothing showed but the holes in the pegboard.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Little dab of hot melt glue....

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Terry wrote in article ...

There are plastic clip kits available that hold the pegboard hook against the pegboard.

I've seen kits at HD......

OR.....

If I have access to the back of the pegboard, I sometimes use safety wire.......

I have set up spare parts boards for the race car by safety wiring components onto a pegboard. Car comes in needing a new right front corner, and the crew can simply go to the appropriate pegboard with a pair of wire cutters, and clip off the needed components.

Wish I could take credit, but it's NOT a new idea in racing at all.

Reply to
*

Just curious, what kind of race car do you have and where do you run? I used to run, until about three years ago, dirt track mini-stock (Pinto) here at Victorville, CA. Enjoyed the hell out of it but it became just too expensive and time consuming. Two weeks of work, and then some, for thrity minutes of driving time.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

a couple pieces of safety wire, machinists wire, around the hook through small drilled holes through the pegboard on each side of the hook.

John

Reply to
john

Nice hijack, Jim. :-(

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Sorry, but it's not like these threads stay on topic forever. Hell, most of them aren't even ON topic. This question could have been answered is one or two posts.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

As others have opined, pegboards suck and I wouldn't recommend them. But given you have one (I do too, actually), try a small piece of double sided tape between the hook and board. Foam style tape, about 1/8" thick, should do nicely.

I think I'll go try that on mine, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I bend my own hooks from wire coat hangers, since the commercial hooks have these so obvious deficiencies.

The top of the hook is formed in the standard pattern to fit in the hole, then the vertical downward leg. The horizontal leg is bent out just above the next hole below it, and the upward retainer can be what the tool/component needs, then double back to the board and through the hole. Snip to length. Then form a small latching bump on this lower through-the-board leg to hold it in place.

After a few tries it is simple and fast to "roll your own", and the hooks will meet your needs exactly. Some hooks I made even held a Weller soldering gun in a handy position.

The key to success here is the retaining bump on the lower horizontal leg that keeps the hook from being pulled from the board too easily.

Heck, with a small test board you can make hooks in front of the tube during commercials..... "Martha, where's all them clothes hangers from beside my easy chair"?

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

All my pegboard hooks are variations of these two. No problems with the hooks falling off.

Greg O

Try to fashion some type of plastic or semi-hard foamy material to wedge around that part of the hook where it is attached into the peg board to make it tight and not slide out easily.

Reply to
Layman

Try painting your pegboard. A couple of coats of flat white will fill in the holes some and tighten up the holding power. Also brightens up the shop and the tools tend to stand out. Most helpful when everything is blending into the background.

Good luck

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.

Reply to
Mawdeeb

Take pliers and an old coat hanger and wire cutters

the ones that like pulling out make a CROSS wireonr peg down from where they are being held

\______/ that is 3 pegs wide the ends will go in holes 1 and 3 and hole 2 is where the hook is

In general i havent had issus with pegs pulling out because what i hang is proportional

old store merchandise pegs 3 side by side get stuff like my jogsaw in its platic case and i'll only hang tiny stuff ona J hook

Reply to
Brent

I use my glue gun. Easy to remove the glue when I need to but does the job...

Reply to
Charles Struble

Thanks to all for the great ideas. I believe I'll try the double-sided tape and the hot glue gun, see which one works better.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

Jim Chandler wrote in article ...

I don't have a race car of my own.....I build them for other people.

I also have a shock dyno and work with several teams on their shocks.

Most of my stuff is running in the Canadian Maritimnes.

All asphalt, oval track stuff.

Mostly based on the 108" GM Metric chassis, but I also have a few Pro-Stock (Super Late model to some) customers.

Reply to
*