Hopefully an easy drill chuck question

Good Evening to the Collective!
(that's you folks out there, by the way)
I have a little difference of opinion at work as to the PROPER way to store
Jacob's drill chucks between uses/set-ups.
Due to some things being beyond my control, the "tooling rack" that we have
to store all shanked tools for several VMCs is shank down/chuck up. Now I,
and the dude, I work with thinks that that's bad enough, having the jaws
pointing up to catch the airborne crap that floats around any shop so we
VERY LIGHTLY close the jaws down to barely finger tight.
Moron that doesn't even work on the shop floor thinks that we are
"deliberately destroying the chucks" and opens them up. Lately, he has taken
to actually tightening the chucks to get back at us or something like
that..as I said, he is a moron.
In fact, he gives morons a bad name.
So....what is the collective opinion? Chucks opened and gathering crap or
chucks LIGHTLY closed against airborne crap?
Have a good weekend and thank you for your support!
Mike
Reply to
The Davenport's
Ruining the chuck by finger tightening the jaws to a closed position to keep crap out?
Did this short sighted person bother to explain to you, or anyone, how that's "deliberately destroying the chucks" ?
This guy isn't a moron, but with considerable work he could be promoted to one. Given the opportunity, I'd have is suffering ass in front of his superiors for undermining the well being of the shop equipment and the esprit decor of dedicated workers. It is my opinion that you are storing the chucks in the best possible manner. The only improvement would be to have them in a covered enclosure that minimized crap in the first place. You may not have that option.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
The person responsible for your activities, or possibly his boss, makes the rules, with your input, hopefully.
There is nothing wrong with the way you store the tooling. If there is much crap floating about a vinyl sheet flipped over the tooling is a big help. Attached to the back of the rack it is always handy.
Third parties with no duties and mucking about in a tool room / machine shop is a big no-no and fraught with numerous problems. Put your foot down or up, whichever is more effective and appropriate in your situation.
Wolfgang
The Davenport's wrote:
Reply to
wfhabicher
Remember to store chucks with their jaws pointing North. Not true North but magnetic north unless you can calculate deviation and variation. How much iron do you have in the path of magnetic north? Make sure that they are level and jaw #2 is on top.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Heck, just give him a purchase req for a nice Vidmar cabinet to store your tooling in and see where that goes.
Wes S
Reply to
clutch
I made a couple soft delrin plugs, 1" or so then turned down to 1/2" or 5/8" or chuck capacity with a shoulder. I stick this in the chuck, then loosely hold it, so that if the chuck should get hit by accident, the delrin will protect the ends of the jaws. Then I store the chucks in a rack jaws-up, covered with a clean towel.
The Davenport's wrote:
Reply to
woodworker88
Thanks, Guys...I was sure that we were doing it right, but ya just never know...we may have been missing something along the line somewhere
Mike
Reply to
The Davenport's
"The Davenport's" wrote in news:ZOoch.33$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.lga:
I dunno. I stick it inside the column, wrapped in paper, inside the box it came in.
AFAICT, everyone else at work is happy to just leave it in the spindle.
Reply to
D Murphy
Which would be fine, Dan, except that this is for chucks that are between setups for a VMC...so I'm talking about 18 or so chucks.
Reply to
The Davenport's
Which would be fine, Dan, except that this is for chucks that are between setups for a VMC...so I'm talking about 18 or so chucks.
Reply to
The Davenport's

Site Timeline