Looting

Let's say, for an example sake, that there is a flood in my area. Let's further suppose that I have no food stored, or that my house has been flooded and food is destroyed.

I have a family to feed. I break into a closed food store and steal food. Have I committed an immoral act?

Ignoramus29984

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. But people like that were a small part of what we saw.

Reply to
Rex B

I just had this argument with the SO last night. Stealing food/water because you have no other option(catastrophe situation, not welfare) should not be considered immoral.

Those that are looting Super Soakers and RC Cars and what not are STEALING. Plain and simple. My SO tried to argue that it's going to waste anyways so why not take it and make some use of it. She also tried to argue that maybe they had some "higher" intention towards survival. I don't think so. They are stealing for the simple fact that they can.

JW

Reply to
jw

I would agree with you. I would liberally take the necessities and stay away from other goods. My guess is that most of the stolen stuff will, in fact, go to waste and the thieves will not even be able to resell it. Try reselling a super soaker...

Ignoramus29984

Ignoramus29984 wrote in article ...

The morality is that someone is trying to feed someone through any means available.

I stand by the cops who looked the other way while the grocery stores were being looted.

As a matter of fact, many store owners simply opened their stores for the purpose of giving away their stuff in an orderly manner.

OTOH - there really isn't much life-sustaining need for a television, stereo, or jewelry during the present, no-electricity situation, and anybody emerging from such a store with arms laden is a trophy shot in my book.

Funny how so many other disasters around the USA seem to have brought out the absolute best in the American people, but in an area boasting the title "The Big Easy" where morals are loose at best, and often snickered at, morality and empathy for fellow humans has totally broken down.

Go figure!

Reply to
*

I think the looting and criminal acts do sell a lot of newspapers and airtime. I suspect that there's not much airplay in talking about the folks in the hospitals right now, who refuse to abandon their patients in the face of overwhelming conditions.

I think the moral here is that we cannot count on the govenment to help us in times of disaster - we have to rely on ourselves. Not a real suprise.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Yes- but its necessary. Your choices are limited- its immoral to break in and steal food. Its also immoral to let your family starve when food is on the other side of the door and there are no other alternatves. Your choice. Once your situation improves, then its time to make reparations to the store's owner.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

And said with a smile - that interview was a little creepy.

Good thing we are spending all that money on Homeland Security.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Heard an NPR story yesterday about hospital workers keeping patients alive after the ventilators lost power. They were using manual bellows and taking turns pumping air into the patients, round the clock. When they weren't doing that, they were attending to other patients as fast as possible. Many had worked well past 24 hours with no sleep. Lots of heroes out there.

Reply to
Rex B

My thought when I saw these people carting off electronics and such was where are they planning on stashing this stuff? I agree food, water and clothing are things one needs for survival and taking them should be excused in a situation like this. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

That's right, but they can't sell news stories about some poor nurse hand-bagging a patient for hours on end. They might feel obligated to take a turn and give the nurse a rest.

The real question is where's the cavalry? Why aren't they doing an evac on that hospital?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

One has only to look at the faces of looters on the news. Virtually all of those taking food, have a serious look of concern or desperation. Those stealing non essentials have shit-eating grins on their faces. Cop forces them to drop their loot, they just go around the corner and try again.

Hear a reporter say a cop told them he wouldn't bother folks taking food/water. But other looters, if he had his way, he's shoot dead, tag the body "looter" and leave em.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Even the cops there were of that opinion, according to one report I heard on public radio.

Exactly. They're common thugs, and they'd be doing it under any and all circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, they are the ones that should be shot dead on the spot. How people can live with profiting from the suffering of others is beyond my understanding.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

How can you say that, Jim? Why, just last night on TV I saw that they're talking about doing everything possible to help those folks.

Anyone watch Nightline? Ted Koppel held (forgot his name) feet to the fire, looking for answers. Seems those we elect to office are long on BS and short on action. Typical government stuff, where they pick on those that can't, or won't, fight back, all in an attempt to make it look like they're doing something to earn their keep. Lots of lip service, very little performance.

We, in this country (US) need a serious wake up call. We've had too much for too long, all without paying a price-----but it's starting to look like it's pay-up time.

Need an example? Boeing machinists going on strike for more, having refused an offer that apparently puts an additional $15,000 in their pockets-------while Boeing is looking for reasons---any reason----to get rid of them--and they should. What do they have invested in their jobs? Jobs that almost any machinist in other countries, is willing to do for a lot less money---a reality of living in a world economy. It has been reported on more than one occasion on the news here in the greater Seattle area, that the average income for these folks is $59,000/year. For machinists? Are we worth that kind of money? Seriously? The last job I held, before starting my own shop, I was paid $3.50/hr, and it was considered good money for a journeyman. That was back in '67, of course.

Who the hell put a nickel in me?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Yes.

However..its called situational ethics. Which is a variable.

On the other hand..you should expect to be shot dead for your stupidity in not making some previous preperations to protect your family.

Gunner

Gunner

Not a big fan of history are you? "You loot, we shoot" is very much an accepted rule of thumb.

Imagine how bad it would be without it.

Gunner

Gunner

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 18:07:39 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner clearly indicated:

Would you be so good as to point out what, if anything, the DHS has done for (not to) the citizens of the USA so far?

Ditto for Katrina recovery, please.

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've never been a pro machinist, so I can't speak to that. I'd think the aerospace machinists should be the very best. And I'd think that pay range might be appropriate for that level of skill. But to turn down a

25% raise..... Boeing needs to call them on that.
Reply to
Rex B

Well, you just said what I was going to, especially the reparations part.

That question has been around forever though...And, from:

Bouvier's Law Dictionary

1856 Edition

MITIGATION. To make less rigorous or penal.

  1. Crimes are frequently committed under circumstances which are not justifiable nor excusable, yet they show that the offender has been greatly tempted; as, for example, when a starving man steals bread to satisfy his hunger, this circumstance is taken into consideration in mitigation of his sentence.

*************************************

It was heartwarming to see the better side of humanity an hour ago when the 20 or so members at my Rotary Club lunch reached into their wallets and came up with over $1,000 to help those poor buggers, when the club president brought up the subject and we passed a bucket around the tables.

I thought it better that SWMBO and I skip going out for dinner tonite and eat at home, so that our money could help someone with nothing at all to eat.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Except, actually helping them, that is. :(

My feeling is there's a severe lack of leadership here.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen