Looting

saw this in the paper today. made me laugh out loud.

{2DEAF6D5-7164-4148-BA93-75190E8F3271}.gif more stuff with a strong left wing bias... (and funny)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

The head of FEMA is actually the head of the Homeland Security department. Fema is a subordinate department of them.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

AMEN!

-jc-

so if your house has gone through huricane winds and is now underwater, what are the chances of finding your gun to begin with? (that was my point to all of you who read that line about looting a gun first. I'm aware of my second amendment rights)

walt

Reply to
wallster

Thanks for admitting you were wrong.

So you missed all the convoys filled with food, water, medical aid and so forth pouring into the effected areas yesterday and instead, watched a little yellow ball being batted back and forth by a couple steroid laced ladies in short skirts?

Interesting priority system you have.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

From talking to some who have worked with FEMA in the past, its a dumping ground for the civil servants who can't hack it anywhere else. Not that all of them are worthless, but I think the percentage of worthless is a lot higher there. No reason to suspect DHS is any different.

Its too bad the idiots can't be directed instead to depts that don't have to produce any services- maybe the PTO or something.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:07:54 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner Asch clearly indicated:

?!?

Apart from an online contribution, there ain't shit I can do for them from here, pard.

Your continued lack of an answer is noted, too.

P.S: No steroids.

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One hundred percent, because I took it with me when I left.

-jc-

Reply to
John Chase

Why wasnt it strapped to your person like it was intended to be?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Sorry no sympathy. Living 9 feet below sea level and hanging around with a class 4+ hurricane sitting off the coast building up??? Anyone that was still there and died deserved what they got. Why do we have Hawaiians??? If a bunch of polynesians can get into paddle boats and row a few thousand miles across the pacific to get off of sinking islands then you can drive a mere hundred to avoid a hurricane. There is no excuse. Plenty of reasons but no excuses. If the old and sick can't get out of there then I guess their family doesn't really care. If you have and issue with being abandoned by your kids I guess you should have raised them better. I love hindsight. It allows me to be a justified asshole. You know what I love more than hindsight??? Forward thinking. Then when something does happen I get to be an asshole AND say I told you so. I lived in southern Mississippi, Gulfport to be exact. I made it through Andrew okay. Notice I say I lived there??? Past tense. I'm in Virginia now and had to deal with Isabele 2 years ago. I have a two year deal left here and then I'm gone. Back home to Nevada where the worst I have to worry about is 80 MPH winds blowing the roof off my shed or a hail storm punching holes through it. The only thing that concerns me about things making it through Katrina is the Jefferson Davis memorial. It had a very nice garden.

Xenophon

My experience with Boeing machinists is they run one machine and make several parts on that machine. I have seen Boeing people try to dial something in a 4 jaw chuck and 6 hours later are still trying get it dialed in. There are some people at Boeing that are really good, but sadly more are just putting their time in and collecting a check. One shop I worked in was so fed up with exboeing people they wouldn't even get the chance for an interview. Just round file their application. These people are in for a real shock at the wages that machinists are getting out side of Boeing in the same area. At least here in Portland.

Reply to
Richard W.

Survival requires food and water. Not electronics and jewelry.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

hobby pages are here:
Visit my new site:
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

I heard the current head of FEMA knows more about horses than about Emergency Management.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Actually he was an estate planning attorney. Basically a political favoritism appointment. Happens all the time, never hurts anything.

Mostly.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Chuckle!

Like, maybe-----

this time.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I've known presidents (company types) that had little knowledge of the business. It was part of a large collections of companies - hundreds - and the training route was to serve in several selected companies in the corporation.

The whole idea is this person must be business intelligent and able to respond and make a decision. It isn't that he knows how many tons of xyz is needed in Tampa.

The executive staff was home grown. So if the pres screws up - so already did his people. His people are to generate the special and professional level concepts. He decides with educated inputs.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

jim rozen wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

So what you steal defines whether it is moral to steal it, depending on what you think you need at the moment? How much food and water do you morally "liberally" steal, all you can carry and the hell with those who steal more slowly?

You would have paid for the goods if the shopkeeper was present. Do you leave a check? Perhaps not, with the rationale that the next (slower) looter would probably steal the check. Moral behavior would be to leave a check in payment for the goods. Thinking it would probably be stolen by the next looter is rational, but not doing it is still immoral because it is then theft and you are a thief.

Confusing moral behavior with rationalization of acts one thinks necessary in trying times is a slippery slope. Morality is a code of conduct. It becomes meaningless if it can be redefined by adversity.

If you must steal to survive, you'll do it. We all would. It wouldn't be the first immoral deed we've ever done. Let's not lose sight of morality, even if we don't or can't always meet the standard.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I had the misfortune to work under one such individual, years ago, in a tool & die shop at a government installation in Utah. This well meaning individual was a bean counter that bid into a job that was well beyond his knowledge, head of the tool & die shop. He ran the shop with an iron fist. He was so poorly informed as to proper machine procedures that he hampered progress---insisting that shafts be run between centers when soft jaws would have cut the machining time in half------and that was but one of many things that were poorly managed. This was during the Viet Nam war, when we worked

5 12's and 2 8's per week, mandatory. We could have accomplished the work in a 40 hour week had we been permitted to use good shop practice.

In order to make a decision, I'm of the opinion that a person must have at least a basic knowledge of the task at hand.

Ha! In this case, at least according to the radio, today, these fools are all appointed by the best possible method-----a "good ol boy" network. Truly "home grown". What we have is a huge gathering of people that have feathered their own nests, all the while standing around looking cute---stealing tax money from those amongst us that have worked our asses off to support them. Until some catastrophic event comes along, we have no way of knowing that they are doing nothing.

The FEMA head appears to knows as much about emergency handling as I do-----which is one damned sorry statement, considering I know nothing. I'm not convinced he could pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel. With this man we have placed our trust and confidence?

I am politically as ignorant as anyone can be, yet, to me, it appears we have leaders that don't have a clue, and, sadly, they don't want one. Just the money and glory.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

My comment aabove was about practical issues (thieves unlikely to benefit from most stolen goods), and not about morality.

Ignoramus25850

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:03:40 GMT, Ron Thompson wrote: snip

snip

I have to beg to differ here. It all depends on what your outlook in life is and your livelyhood is on weather you need electronics and jewelry to survive or food and water. From what I see of those folks they cold care less about food and water, but those electronics and jewelry can make for some easy $$$$.....later on and if they do ever acquire a taste or need for water and food, they can always take what they want from those that have it by force since life really seems to meaningless to them anyway, whats the big deal with them knocking off a person for a bottle of water........heck the kill for a $5 hit of crack.....

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
LeeH