I need to buy a 3 jaw adjust true chuck

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal working budget to my gun budget.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Michigan may be

Buck is the name brand. Bison has them too. I happen to know a cheap skate that just made his own, Not that hard a job.

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

It will take a little digging but plenty of good suppressor plans out there.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Personally if I were to buy a new chuck I would just buy one that has removable top jaws--be careful truing your backplate and it should run within a thou or so which is fine for most work, that way if you have a need to be dead nuts you can always put in a set of soft jaws and bore them.

Besides, adjust tru chucks take will vibrate quite a bit unless you have the chuck body running close to centerline and they take just about as long to dial in as a 4 jaw which negates much of their supposed advantage anyways.

They are legal here where I'm at but I fail to see any legimate purpose for them especially considering that the attendant permitting fee is ~$300.00...

But since tax revenues on cigarettes is on the decline then might as well take advantage of gun owners I suppose.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

at work but

Michigan may be

I have a 6 inch plain back chuck for sale. Also a 10 inch plain back chuck for sale.

Ignoramus11868

at work but

What spindle mount?

If you are after *new*, look at Bison chucks. Nice quality for reasonable prices.

If you already have a good 3-jaw chuck with a separate backplate, it is possible to adapt it to make one with an adjust-tru style feature.

1) In preparation -- turn a chuck of steel to the OD of the chuck and backplate, and then bore it to leave perhaps a 1" thick wall.

2) Remove the chuck from the backplate, and drill and counterbore the ring from (1) above to accept screws into the back of the chuck to mount the ring firmly to it. You may want to set up dowel pins so the ring can't shift relative to the chuck body.

3) Drill and tap the ring to accept screws through the backplate holes a bit oversized into the ring. If you use the dowel pins mentioned in (2) above, probably you should drill and tap these holes all the way through the ring so you can use longer screws as jackscrews to separate the ring and chuck body in the future at need.

4) Bore a pocket in the backplate perhaps 1" smaller in diameter than the ID of the ring.

5) Turn a plug of steel to be a snug fit into the pocket and to project perhaps 3/4" or so into the ring -- maybe a full 1" if there is sufficient clearance in the back of the chuck body. Drill and counterbore it, and drill and tap the backplate for screws to secure the plug rigidly to the backplate.

6) Drill and tap four radial holes for heavy setscrews at 90 degree intervals around the ring.

7) Grind the ends of the setscrews flat.

8) Assemble the whole thing, with the setscrews loose, and the screws attaching the backplate to the ring sort of tight, enough to keep the chuck from slipping down to whatever side is down at the moment.

9) Chuck up a piece of stock the diameter of what you are going to work with at the moment.

10) Tap the chuck so it is moderately close, and then lightly adjust the setscrews to touch the plug of steel.

11) Now, using the setscrews and with a runout indicator, adjust for minimum runout as you would with a normal adjust-tru style chuck.

12) Tighten the screws securing the backplate to the ring and recheck the runout, as it may shift a bit with the tightening.

When you shift to a different diameter workpiece, slack the backplate screws and go back to (9) above, skipping (10) except for the first setup. (This is why the dividing line, to separate the *making* from the *using* part. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm trying to decide if I really need one of these:

make these:
Perhals you could modify it to adjust as Don wrote but still go on a tight-fitting backplate for heavier cuts.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

He is a great guy

Reply to
Ignoramus11868

Michigan may be

A couple things come to mind.

The price of Bison chucks has gone way up over the last several years, and aren't quite the bargain they used to be. I think I paid around $375 for my 6" Bison 6-jaw; current Enco price is $884.

The lower priced Buck chucks (BVC, I think) are overpriced crap. I bought one recently that a customer specified for a job and had to disassemble and refit the jaws. My customer said they do that to most that come in. Might as well buy a Chinese chuck at half the price. The cheap Bucks probably *are* Chinese. I do own one small Chinese chuck mounted on a 5C arbor that came in an auction lot. It's actually not bad.

I have a couple adjust-true type chucks, but don't recall the last time I tweaked one. I'll almost always use a 4-jaw instead.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Michigan may be

Just buy a four jaw independent chuck and learn to use it. I use a ten thousandth dial gage for final adjustment. The last time I used a three jaw chuck.other than a drill chuck on other than my Unimat 3 was55 years ago in High School shop class. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'm doing most of my work with an 8" 4 jaw unless it fits my collets. The 4 jaw has serations in the jaw that makes it hard to use for small things. I wish the jaws were smooth.

Wes

Wes

L00

After the comments on Buck, I'll look at Bison.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

My gun budget reference was that I was going to *purchase* the suppressor and the tax stamp. I'm not going to get near making one, I like my freedom way too much.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Well if you lived next door to me, the noise from my practice for an hour or more at a time, would likely get to you eventually.

Wes

Wes

Never underestimate the quiet power of an empty soda bottle.

-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Greetings Wes, I have been turning parts for about 35 years. On all sorts of equipment. I use almost exclusively three jaw chucks that I have modified to be adjustable. Using good chucks they repeat well and adjust MUCH faster than a 4 jaw. I know, I know, folks say that when you learn how to use a 4 jaw properly it's just as fast as an adjustable chuck. Not for me or anyone I know. For work that has to be adjusted less than .020" an adjustable chuck is the way to go. And I'd spend the money getting a good plain back chuck and making it adjustable rather than spending the exorbitant money they charge for them. Jest my 2 cents. Eric

Reply to
etpm

at work but

I believe Buck has gotten out of the chuck business, or at least the Adjust-Tru product line.

I got a Phase-II knock-off and am very happy with it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Or email me

Reply to
Ignoramus3367

Aww okay I see now that you meant for noise suppression, not flash...I haven't seriously looked into the law here yet as it was my son that told me about their recently legalizing suppressors and so it may be that the design still must allow muzzle flash to remain visible at night....Or perhaps not...let's have a look...

Appears as long as it's within Federal compliance then all is good...

--sadly, I don't have time look into at what what the Fed has to say.

I probably would hardly notice even if you were firing a 50 browning next door but unless you really had a really good layout on your property you would likely just do like several other locals and come over here to shoot instead.

We use disposable earplugs or the Smith & Wesson blue earmuffs which I'm pretty sure came from either MSC or McMaster of which there are several pairs in the shop.

One neighbor did complain about noise a few years back though--the Sheriff stopped by and let me know that he basically told her if she is truly upset by the sound of gun fire then she should probably move back to the city.....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Buck was assimilated by forkardt quite some time ago...

PrecisionmachinisT

Then you may want to compare the Buck and the Bison. There are more and deeper serrations in my Bison 6" six-jaw than those in my Buck 6" three-jaw. The Buck is an older forged steel chuck, and hopefully my criticism of the economy Bucks doesn't apply to the current steel chucks. And, as I mentioned, the price spread between Buck and Bison isn't nearly what it used to be.

You might also want to keep an eye on this ebay seller's auctions:

show up occasionally in one of my saved searches and seem to have good prices on Bison chucks that have been returned or were dinged in shipping.

Reply to
Ned Simmons