How are shell casing made?

How do they make shell casing? I assume they are spun somehow. But, What do they start with? Sheet stock? A solid bar? How are they drawn so deep and still maintain wall thickness? Thanks

Reply to
Chief McGee

Cartridge cases? They are deep drawn from a disk of brass in multiple steps.

sorry..I couldnt find a link to pictures of the process on short notice.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:45:49 GMT, "Chief McGee" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Take a sheet of brass. Fire the right-sized projectile into it. Instant shell-casing.

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

CCI has recently started making brass cases for their Blazer line by impact extrusion. This is breaking new ground in the ammo industry since it has been customary that brass cases were made by deep drawing. According to the article, the cost per case is considerably reduced by the new process.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:58:08 GMT, "Randal O'Brian" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

So I was not far wrong?

***************************************************** I have decided that I should not be offended by anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's good, anyway.
Reply to
Old Nick

You said spinning, did you not? Btw..arnt Blazers aluminum?

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner

Brass extrusion labs Ltd. started using impact extrusion to manufacture cartridges back in the late 70's.

The company seems to have gone through several incarnations since then, but apparently still operating as MAST Technologies.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Btw..arnt Blazers aluminum?

Used to be. Apparently they will be brass now and will also have standard primer pockets instead of the Berdan's in the old alum case line, making them easily reloadable The alum cases didn't sell as well as CCI thought they should, so they bowed to customer pressure.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian