How are US pennies made?

Yes, I remember that conversation. But the enhancement is "keep the copper ones and save them until the price rises further".

Ah. Actually, it's far simpler than that. Slot machines have devices in them called "coin comparators" which are very good at distinguishing coins which are the right size but the wrong material. The electromagnetic signature of a copper cent and a zinc cent are very different. Give the comparator an example of a zinc cent, and all zinc cents come out one slot, all non-zinc cents come out the other slot. Sorting problem solved. Counting and weighing by the roll are precise enough to insure no zinc cents escape the mechanism.

Not at an automated rate of 6 coins per second, completely unattended, it's not. Especially when the local bank saves bags of pennies as they become available (about 2 per month, 50 buck bags), and when the credit union one belongs to doesn't charge for the coin counter, and I need to visit there every couple weeks anyway.

Ahem. In theory, that is. Lots of work, way too complex, by all means, you don't want to do this.

Running at 34% copper right now by the way.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes. They re-engraved them in 1974, and again in the early 1980s, making them shallower each time. And not for the better. The early Lincoln cents were sculptural, the new ones are just blah. I wonder if it's so they don't break through the copper plating.

Let's see. Penny & nickel, worth face. The dime, quarter, and half, add up to .62 troy ounces. At $11.96 spot price for silver, that's $7.44, plus 6 cents for the penny and nickel, so $7.50 worth of coins. So just in metal value you've got just under 3 gallons of gasoline worth of coins there. Funny how that works.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sounds like a neat way, but I'll just take the gummints word that they are 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper, though they didn't say whether that was by weight or volume.

So, let's just do it the bean counter's way.

Copper is pretty close to the density of zinc; It's only about 14% denser, so it don't much matter whether the US Mint was talking weight or volume.

Assuming a penny is say .05" thick, and ignoring the copper on the edge, you'd be pretty close if you said the thickness of the copper on one side would have to be 1.25% of the total thickness, or .05 * .0125 = .000625", less than one thou....Pretty thin, huh?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Um? I'm seeing a 26% difference. Copper: density of 8.96 gm/cc Zinc: density of 7.13 gm/cc

Be easy enough to set up a mill & do some experiements. I'm not up to a

6 tenths in that axis though...
Reply to
Dave Hinz

english----england, somehow the two words are similar...

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Gotta stop doing math in my head, dammit.....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Wowza! I didn't even think about the silver value.

I'd just gone on the web and found that regular gas was selling for arounc 30 cents a gallon in 1964. And those coins I gave him had a face value of 91 cents, then and now....

I think I paid the coin dealer about $14 plus a couple of bucks shipping for that cased set of uncirculated coins. That seems even fairer now that you mentioed the silver value.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Of course. You lot did invent the language, and we have perfected it.

See? Here is a perfect example. In your language, that means, roughly, "thank you". In our language, it means it's time for a drink. I think anyone could agree that our version is better.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In truth, the decay of value of coins is inflation. It is reflected in the cost of gold, the cost of cars, the cost of silver, the cost of everything. Inflation is the way the government can tax you by removing value from inside your checking account in an almost painless, low hassle manner. When you see interest rates going up "to control the increase of inflation" what you are really seeing is the government increasing its ability to sell treasury notes, which are generated on big printing presses, just like 20 dollar bills. Treasury notes are currency with interest. Money they receive for printing these notes for you can be used to pay for the cost of running a war in Iraq, or Afghanistan. You can buy a house with them, pay off your car with them. Houses used to cost 20,000, now they cost 250,000. A new Chevrolet could be bought for 1700. Gold at this time was 35 per ounce. Now its 630 per ounce. If you take out the effect of inflation, gasoline, houses, cars, food...almost everything is near what it was 40 years ago.

You guys have punched my "dump" button...

Brownnsharp

Reply to
brownnsharp

Not sure, but it could be an indication of a small lunch.

Harold and Susan Vordos

Everything you've said is true---but you failed to mention that that ounce of gold you mentioned still weighs 480 grains. In other words, money is worthless. How I yearn for the days when a dollar was still worth 25 cents.

Harold and Susan Vordos

And "English" sounds very similar to the "Angle ish" that the Angles spoke when they invaded Britain, despite the reality that they no longer sound very similar at all. jk

Reply to
jk

Methinks you mean "anglos", as in Anglo-Saxon.

Or perhaps "Anglo"land, which sounds suspiciously like what we now call England?

I forget - did the Normans arrive before, or after the Anglo-Saxons? Most likely before, I'd guess, otherwise it might be "Normanland" today. Then again, there is Normandy...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Actually that's the same folk. In 410 AD the Germanic tribes from Angeln, Saxony, Frisia, & Jutland invaded and the resulting mishmash got named Anglo-Saxon, because the king titled himself "Rex Angul-Saxonum" or "king of the anglo-saxons" and because the Jutes & Frisians were mostly along for the ride, with the Angles & Saxons being the big dogs.

The last Anglo-Saxon king died at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 fighting William of Normandy. He became the new king, booted all the Anglo-Saxon lords, and replaced them with Norman ones, which will be familiar to anybody who's had their company bought out and downsized.

This event also totally changed the English language, with the result that Old English is barely comprehensible to a modern person.

Some of the places have names like Sussex (south Saxons), Wessex (west Saxons), Middlesex (middle Saxons), and East Anglia (east Angles)

Sorry. Too much SCA...

-gc

Reply to
Gene Cash

SCA is fun, sorta... Almost like work sometimes. :)

Seen a variant on that one floating around - Something to the tune of "I ain't afraid of the bullet with my name on it - There's no dodging that one. It's the ones marked "To whom it may concern" that bother me"

Reply to
Don Bruder

Does that mean that I have been essentially correct all these years I've been telling people that the root language of English is German?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house w**re. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary.

James Nicoll, 1846-1918

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Indeed

Gunner Asch

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

You bet. It's a Germanic language, just like German, Flemish, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, etc. Wikipedia has more information than you want, here:

Dave Hinz

Pretty much. Look at Old English and Old High German and it's rather obvious.

It helps to have a roommate that's a language major specializing in German, too. :-)

-gc

Reply to
Gene Cash