How are you avoiding metal slivers in your hands?

I worked all day Wednesday hack sawing, milling, die grinding, drilling, and tapping to make an action wrench. I got ~ 20 hair like steel slivers in my hands.

I keep vacuuming the mill, but I must be missing out on some discipline to avoid slivers.

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

Do not rub the hands.

Reply to
Calif Bill

--Increase feedrate on the milling cutter and the needle-shaped chips will get big enough to see. To remove the no-see-ums try doing the dishes: it cleans the hands and softens the skin so they're easier to see and remove.

Reply to
steamer

I find this to be a hit and miss proposition. I was a locksmith for many years and the needle like shavings that come off the key machines either get you or they don't, but when they do they drove me crazy until I could get them plucked out.

This of course became worse as I passed 40 and needed to use a jewelers loupe to see the damn splinter.

Then it seemed that I would go months without grabbing another one.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

When I lived in Arizona the suggested method for removing the tiny needles from Cholla cactus was to spread Elmer's glue over the affected area of the hands, wait for it to dry and peeling it off taking the cactus needles with it. Obviously not the most comfortable solution for hairy skin areas. Never was tempted to get close enough to a Cholla to have need of it myself, not sorry.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Actually, Rubber cement works better than Elmers. Been there, done that as I raised some 300 species of cactus at one time. And yes...it is painful when it drags all the hair out at the same time.

However..the second time, usually next week or the week after, is pretty good. Same with the third, forth etc etc...sigh

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Those buggers are evil... If I could plant them around my house here in NJ, and they'd live, I'd do it and NEVER have to worry about being robbed or having my bushes eaten by deer.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I work in a facility that machines aluminum, cast iron, and steel forgings as a machine repair tech along with doing a bit of playing in the tool room. I don't seem to get slivers and my hands are not that tough.

Now burns from hot chips, I have when I'm working on something in the tool room.

Action wrench? Doing a barrel change? Do tell.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

"David Merrill" wrote in news:wLCjm.8859$5n1.7186@attbi_s21:

I've had some success with a really srong magnet (rare earth) for steel, and tape & peel with packing tape. This works well for fiberglass slivers, which are impossible to see.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Let the Record show that "Roger Shoaf" on or about Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:20:50 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I kept getting "new" tweezers to get them out, till my friend pointed out that I had a set of perfectly flat and mating jaws already handy - the dial calipers. "Doh!" Add in that I'm extremely nearsighted, and I look under the glasses to see the little buggers ... and still want a strong light around.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "David Merrill" on or about Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:41:16 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Similar thing in Hawaii, with the sugar cane fields. One brush with sugar cane and you understand why they burn the fields before harvesting.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" on or about Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:04:02 -0700 (PDT) did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gloves where possible. Even the nitrile ones help.

At least steel rusts, making them "easier" to find or remove. Aluminum just waits....

pyotr filipivich

Also referred to as the Jumping Cactus.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Usually can smell burning chest hair with the first one or two incoming, but then one reaches the skin:(

I use 1.75" x 1.75" blocks to make action wrenches or barrel vises. I use 1.5" Aluminum round stock to make the collets. I usually work on Mausers with a flat bottom, but this week it is a Rem700 with a round bottom. So the barrel vise is round with round collet and I made an action wrench that is round with round collet.

The bad slivers are from a high speed die grinder and from trying to drill a 1.5" hole through big blocks of steel without a proper drill, but using mill bits tapered mill bits instead. The small slivers are getting everywhere. I need an eye loop to see them, which is the eyepiece from a cannibalized pair of binoculars.

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

No offset boring head?

Wes

Wes

Duct tape or the old cloth-backed first-aid tape works. There are also various splinter removal gadgets that combine an LED light, a small pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass, have seen them in drug stores.

The worst ones are the fine brass slivers you get sometimes, they're just long enough to stick in the outer layer of hide but not quite long enough to fester up and be seen. One way I've found to handle those is to shave off that layer with my small pocket knife blade. I keep it sharp enough to do such minor surgery. Otherwise I have to drop what I'm doing and find some tape.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I use some dawn dishwashing liquid on my hands and arms before working with fiberglass. It plugs the pores, and prevents the fiberglass from sticking. Wash it all off when you're done, without any slivers in your skin.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell