How to clean rusty tools ?

You say that, like it was a bad thing.

What more could be said? It was pretty well covered in the first part of the thread

Gunner

Gunner

Your wire wheel must have thicker wire than mine. I don't notice any surface metal removed although there must be some. My wheel is more like using a fine scotchbrite wheel.

Dan

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
dcaster

Scotch removes rust?

Reply to
Rex B

Not exactly. It just makes the job of doing so such that you don't care. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Knob Creek = Well aged Jim Beam in a different bottle with a wax seal.

100 proof instead of 80 as well.
Reply to
Steve W.

If you get up to south-central Wisconsin, come on over - we'll make chips in the shop, and then break out the bourbon - in that order...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Only the "bright" type of Scotch.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

BTDT. Twice. You're completely right, Jim. (Note to history: on July

25th, Dave Hinz told Jim Rozen that he's completely right about something)
Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's an offer I can't refuse, assuming I get that far away from home. I'm in Western Washington State, building a house. The way it looks right now, that's going to be happening for the rest of my life! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says... ...

Houses finish to an assymptote. They don't just go and finish at a point. It goes on forever. And ever. And ever....

:^)

The only way you know you are done is when you're willing to put up with the unfinished bits. This is the same thing that happens when you buy an older house. You move in and get all excited fixing it up. This goes on for about five years and then you say, heck, it's only a place to live. So what if the kitchen cabinets are held to teh wall with duct tape!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Chuckle!

I was thinking windows and doors would be nice, at least when it's raining.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ah. Rain stays *outside*. What a concept. I have a few issues with my present house along those lines too.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Sunroofs. Any time you put a hole in a roof, it's gonna leak.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's how I see it, too, so no sun roofs for me.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Roof? It's not all that hard to re-shingle if so. We're installing some

50 year composition on the new house. Looks great when you're finished. I nail 'em, Susan matches 'em so I can. We're spending way too much time on the roof, but the end result is nice.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

The bit in question is a tiny shed dormer roof where the box staircase goes up to my attic. Years ago it leaked badly and I had it re-done with sheet copper. There's an open seam or nail hole someplace in the thing, and when it rains just right, with the wind just right, the thing drips.

Most times it's infuriatingly dry, even during torrential downpours.

Problem is the things 3 stories up in the air, and I'm a total chicken about ladders. I'd rather have the thing leak forever than fall those three stories down to the concrete apron and chainlink fence at the bottom. Right now I have enough responsibilities that I can't take time out to be injured/dead.

So most times there's a trash can there where the leak would be, just sitting there. The quickest way to obtain the correct meterological conditions for it to drip, are have somebody swipe the trashcan!

Really I want to find somebody who can do standing seam copper. Maybe I'll buy a safety harness and a sheet metal brake.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Wow! That's a far cry from what I'm doing. New houses just don't have the charm of the old stuff. Sounds like a nice place, Jim.

Understood, especially after my fall while building the house. Not sure what happened because I sustained a concussion, but my half day of fun cost over $5,000. No broken bones, but a badly bruised chest where one of the building blocks (10" thick, 15" tall, 7-1/2 feet long, about 100 pounds) landed on my chest. It appears I pulled it off the wall as I fell.

Like you, I don't like height. I've added permanent anchor points to the roof at proper intervals, and we own two sets of safety harnesses so we can work safely. They're really helped me work comfortably (mentally), although they're a PITA to wear.

If you want it done properly, that's likely what you'll end up doing. You've already had the "experts" working on it.

Good luck, Jim.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ouch. I don't recall hearing about the block before. You were really lucky.

Yep, I figure that I could *definitely* have somebody do that tiny bit of roof for less than $5K!

The other issue is, the rest of the roof is slate, so I don't want some hack up there busting the rest of it up just to fix something that's not really critical at the moment.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

LOL. It's awful harold. It has nasty faded pink siding and the landscaping could best be described (charitably) as a varied mix of industrial and weedy.

These were city houses put up at the turn of the century for working folks and while they had some nice touches (we found hand-inlaid parque wood flooring under the carpets in two of the downstairs rooms, and there are two nice stained glass windows downstairs) the rooms are small, closets almost non-existent, and the former owners, while well-intentioned, were strapped for cash and moderatly incompetent in all their efforts at renovation and maintenence.

The roof is original, with the odd construction of horizontal lath strips over the rafters, which were then covered with cedar shakes, and top of that went slates. This was a common local construction I think and the cedar shakes take the place of modern plywood underlayment. Labor costs were insignificant at the time. :^)

It's balloon frame construction because at the time one could find trees tall enough to generate two-story tall 2X4s. There are no fire stops, no insulation in the walls, and the thing will burn to the ground in an instant if it catches on fire.

It needs an entire new kitchen, it still has the claw-foot bathtub in the single bathroom upstairs, and I suspect it was one of the very first houses in the city to have indoor plumbing - it was originally owned by a plumber who did the work himself I think. With the idea that he'd go back and to it right later on. Which never came to pass. The house directly to the south had a barn and outhouse behind it, and still has a hand-pumped dug well in the backyard. This was probably the first house in the neighborhood.

We put a new porch on the front a few years ago because the old one was in rough shape, so that kind of dressed up the property a bit. I'll see if I can find a jpg of the place to put in the dropbox.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Yep, please do post the picture. Very interesting! It's hard for me to imagine what appears to be a common home that has a slate roof. It would likely be impossible to have such an amenity today unless one was quite wealthy. When you talked about slate *and* copper, visions of a grand home came to mind.

Is property expensive where you live? Here, it's been almost free, but that's changing rapidly now. In '90, when we purchased our 5-1/2 acres, we paid only $17,500, and that included an approved, new septic system. The previous owner had cleared a small portion of the fully wooded parcel, where he'd installed the septic system in anticipation of his retirement. He died before he could build, and his daughter, living in California, had no interest in the property. We were shocked to discover, after the fact, that we paid less for the property than the standing timber was worth. For once in our lives, we hit a winner.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos