How to keep small drill bit from wandering?

I was trying to drill some 3.3mm holes in a bit of cast iron a bit less than

1" thick, and they had to be good'n straight so they would come out where the next piece was. These were for a 4mm bolt. I started with a much smaller bit, got a punch right on the correct spot, and must have done something wrong with the drill press, because they went sideways by almost too much. The piece they had to hit centre was only about 6mm wide.

Before drilling I got a dial indicator in the drill press and made sure the table was square all around- needle wiggled about 2 thousandth's. I clamped the two pieces together with a C-clamp, not tight, just snug, and took a hard rubber mallet and tapped them until the faces were as close to exactly aligned as my finger-nail and a table-saw table could get 'em. Then I C-clamped them harder and checked it.The pieces went in the press vise and I got them and the prick mark so that when I dropped the bit into it it didn't move (yes I spun the chuck by hand 90 degrees and checked).

Two out of two holes were ok.Two were off enough that on one I filled the hole with a nail, filed it flush, pricked over to the side I wanted the hole, and tried again; on the other I tried pushing on the side of the next size bit that went in. Filling the hole worked for a bit until the remaining part of the nail started rotating. Pushing also seemed to help but it was the sort of trick I tried because I didn't know what else to do.

Things turned out good enough that I could tap the holes and I don't think they are going to pull through the sides, but I'm not happy. How's a beginner supposed to do this?

Cast iron is neat stuff. It seems almost like a ceramic, little chips and it sounds and feels like they break off, not at all like drilling steel or aluminium.

Reply to
jt

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

You also probably want to use machine screw length drill bits, not the usual "jobbers' length", which are longer and more likely to deflect.

Not sure that you should start with a very small bit, either, as they are more flexible, and thus more likely to wander. I would use the recommended center drill (or a spotting drill) to define the point, then switch to a drill of the desired final size.

There can be inconsistencies in cast iron, which will induce a drill bit to wander as well, and a long, small one is more likely to do so than a short fat one.

You would be a bit better off drilling in a lathe, as the rotating workpiece tends to even out the wander somewhat.

Or set up a fixture to drill through a drill bushing to stabilize the bit -- and drill *one* workpiece at a time. The longer the hole, the greater the chance that the bit will wander out of spec. You were drilling through two workpieces in series? I'll bet that the hole which was off center the worst was the second piece below the first in each case.

Yes -- accumulated chips in the flutes can sometimes induce hole wander too.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

jt wrote: I was trying to drill some 3.3mm holes in a bit of cast iron a bit less than 1" thick (clip) I started with a much smaller bit, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think you may have made a mistake in pilot drilling with a much smaller bit. When you apply drilling pressure to a very small bit, you can easily cause it to bow, so it will start to wander. When you follow with a larger bit, it will take the path set up by the small bit. I would suggest that you drill to the full tap-drill size on the first pass. Cast iron is easy to drill, and if you take it slow, you can probably get a straight hole.

I think all the other things you did to line it up were good.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Or a "spot drill"

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Reply to
Gunner

Hi, was your drill bit new?

A used bit can sometimes develop more wear, or a chip, on one flute and this would cause the bit to tend to walk off.

Lewis.

*************************************

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

Don't try to do several layers of the metal when drilling. You will quickly wander and the lower pieces will be off badly. First, clamp the work to where the hole needs to be put. Center drill and then use the full sized drill without moving the piece. You will have a possible chance at that point of the drill actually going fairly straight but you never know. Better, if you really want to do the job with a really straight hole is to use a gun drill rather than a regular jobber's bit.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Typical cast iron has anomilies in it, such as pockets of slag, core sand, and variations in hardness that can "encourage" the bit to wander. Twist drills are almost never used for deephole drilling because of their tendency to wander.-Jitney

Reply to
jitney

I'd say to drill from the mating face on each part separately, to the outer face, not from one outer face through to the outer face.

And like he said, center drill, then full size drill. No intermediate drills, or if you use them, not full depth, very shallow. Cast iron has a skin that can deflect the drill. The stiff center drill will get through the skin.

Yours,

Doug Goncz, Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA Unpublished work Copyright 2003 Doug Goncz Fair use and Usenet distribution without restriction or fee Civil and criminal penalties for circumvention of any embedded encryption

Reply to
Doug Goncz

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:04:18 -0300, "jt" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Apart from all the other stuff, I would suggest placing the drill bit as deep in the chuck as you can, then gradually extend it as you go.

Not recommended practice all round, bit in the "RAG" (rough as guts) engineering side of things, it may do the job.

****************************************************************************************** Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick