how to notch pipe

I need to cut a notch in the end of sched 40 3.5 inch pipe to allow 2 inch pipe to pass through it. Available tools are reciprocating saw, drill press with bits up to 1 inch and bimetal hole saws, and cutting torch. What's the best way to do it? The notch needs to be snug because the 2 inch pipe will be welded to the 3.5 inch pipe using stick welding.

Mike

Note: To email me, use the address below with the q's removed: snipped-for-privacy@ucqdavis.edu

Reply to
newsman

Single hole or a few? Hole saw and some frustration getting the "plug" out of the unit. Use a sturdy drill press or milling machine to hold the pipe and drive the hole saw.

Many holes? Check out Hougen's holesaw-like tools. They automatically eject the plug so you can go on and on...

I can fax you a page from their catalog if you eMail me privately with a contact number, etc.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Are you going to pass the 2" pipe at right angles to the 3.5" pipe? If so, cut a pair of 2" holes opposite each other in the big pipe, then whack off the end (if you really want something called a "notch"). This will waste a bit of your big pipe, but not much and it'll be a nice notch.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If you've got a good bimetal hole saw, and your drill press will run at the appropriate speed, and you can clamp everything down solidly, then that's the way to go.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Since you are going to weld a pipe back in, I'd use the cutting torch. If your good with the torch the somewhat jagged hole will be welded up. Much less effort than trying to secure in a drill press. Also you didn't mention how long the 3.5" pipe is. Might be tough to wrestle into position on a drill press.

Regards, Bernd

Reply to
Bernd

I'd like to see him cut that hole with the stick welder Gas torch wasn't in the list of available tools.

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
RoyJ

Geez Rex, Drink more coffee or sumthin'.

You even quoted his tools list in your post. Refer back to the bit that says "cutting torch" just a couple dozen letters past the bit that says "available tools" :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Why not buy a T - that mates the 3.5 to a 3.5 and the cross is 2" to 2".

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Rex,

Reread the OP's post. I think you'll find he said he has a cutting torch.

Bernd

Reply to
Bernd

Pass me the carbon rods, and stand well back.

Reply to
Ian Stirling