how to repair magnetic vise

I have a magnetic vise about 6x12 or there abouts and it does not do any thing when a rotate the lever. I just saw the price of this vice new and now I want to see if it can be repaired. I just got a small manual surface grinder and would like to try grinding a few things. The first thing I want to grinde are the shanks on 1" taps form .8 to .8756. I will mount the tap in a wirly gig and grind away. I have a few questions. I am heat shrinking on 3 ft extentions.

1 should I use a coolant, water soulable oil and water. 2 Is this going to take a long time. 3 What kind of wheel should I use? I am grinding High Speed Steel. 4 How much volume of fluid should I use. 5 How heavy a cut can I take . Don
Reply to
Don Huseman

No I have a standard manual surface grinder. I am trying to buy a z axes wheel that reads in .0001 . The one I have now only has a line for 1/2 thousandths For spinning the tap I have a hand cranked wirly gig. I am going to have to bore a 5c emergency collet to told the tap with because the collets I have don't seem to work well. Don

Reply to
Don Huseman