How to round corners on end mill

I need to round corners on 3/4" end mill to about 1/8" diam.

Can you recommend me any particular way to do it? Does anyone sells already rounded end mills?

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes, of course. They are called radiused, or rounded-corner, or bull end mills. Look in any of the tool catalogs, like MSC, J&L, KBC, Travers, Quad City, etc.

Without a tool and cutter grinder, it would be pretty hard to make one.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I know how I do it...try to cut something really hard.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We all knew that one was coming, didn't we...

Reply to
Jerry Foster

To do an accurate job you need a tool and cutter grinder with a radiusing attachment. It is a big help if you want the radius accurate and even on all flutes.

If you can live with not so perfect results, a little carefull grinding on a bench grinder, and frequent checks against a radius gauge of the correct size can get you through. I have done this on 2 flute cutters a couple times and it worked well enough, but I was not exactly making parts for NASA either.

Garr Tools and lots of others sell bullnosed endmills with a wide selection of diameters and radii. For a price. Not unnaffordable, but not excatly bargain stuff either.

You may be able to get radius grinds put on an end mill that you already have, if you can find a tool and cutter grinding shop near you.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

============= What you are looking for are called "bull nose" end mills. Used extensively in the aircraft industry to avoid sharp corners/stress risers. IMNSHO these should be *MUCH* more widely used. The rounded corners last longer and give a better finish and sharp inside corners break on things other than aerospace.

see:

resharps c. 4.00$US)

setting down when you get the prices...

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I think it's my turn...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nonsense!

I've hand ground end mill corners with radii countless times. Even full balls, which are better purchased than hand ground. Use a radius gage and go slowly, running an aluminum oxide wheel, well hand dressed (not with a diamond). Keep clearance in mind as you grind. With careful work, you can achieve .005" precision easily. Do a final stoning to blend any irregularities. Remember, only the highs will cut, so try to keep the multiple lips ground evenly so the finish is good and you can use a reasonable feed rate.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:43:59 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

OK, roll up your sleeve and bend over. Do you want regular or ethyl?

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or have motor spinning the wrong way ;)

Reply to
clutch

With a large radius like that, an alternative would be to leave a step and finish with a 1/4" ballend mill.

Fred

Reply to
ff