how to sharpen files

Does anyone on the list know how to sharpen files? I have heard that they can be put in an acid bath to sharpen them, but have no specifics.

Thanks

OM

Reply to
ol3_m3

I once saw auto body files that had been reconditioned by acid etching and hard chrome plating. I am fairly sure that a nitric or hydrochloric bath will do it. I had a Pierce Arrow valve cover electrically de-rusted at a plating shop and it developed razor sharp edges due to excessive etching. Some experimentation might be in order.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:38:50 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Don Young" quickly quoth:

I'll bet those looked sharp! (double entendre intentional)

Steve Knight had a bunch of files and rasps sharpened the liquid way a couple years ago and I recall that he was very happy with both the price and effectiveness of the process. I believe he used Boggs.

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

Google "file resharpening" and you'll get a multitude of hits. Some formula for doing it your self and the addresses of companies that supply the service.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

Good old battery acid works fine for me...Makes them like new again...

Reply to
kbeitz

I found a file that spent about two years in the bottom of a container that had filled up with water. When I picked it out, I figured no big loss since it was a slick worn out file. Suprisingly, it actually was sharp again.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Put in box. Ship to Boggs. Get back sharp files.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

See if you can find an ad for the "Shark System" file sharpening, it wasa being advertised to sharpening services for a few years, maybe Moons in Florida would know (Moons saw and tool )

Reply to
beecrofter

Thats an old blacksmiths trick. Get a gallon of 35%-40% Muriatic Acid (Hydrochloric acid) at a hardware store, place it in a plastic pan. Now cover the file with acid. In an hour or two depending on acid strength and temperature you will have a file sharp as new. After four or five sharpening like this you will have to have have it re-toothed, or replace it.

Reply to
Mike Swift

That's not all there is to it. First clean the file thoroughly. Then place a lightly oiled rag across an edge of your bench, and give the file a swipe across the edge of the rag-covered table top. The oil will slightly resist the acid's etching the tips of the teeth, but they'll be undercut where there is no oil.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh