How to Springs

At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about 1/4" wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring like
that? Materials etc???
I appreciate you guys,
Roger

1/4"
Not much to go on with that, but it could be made from high carbon steel or beryllium copper. I can't help but think that guys that can do the math would want to know more so they could steer you the right direction.
Harold

This might be an interesting read for you: http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/springs.html
Forger

1/4"
One method is to obtain the large main spring from an old clock and cut the size you need.
Jack
Jack,
I have given thought to cutting it from something, the clock mainsprings are a little thin for what I need. The spring from an old steel trap would be perfect, but I understand they no longer make those.
Roger

like
the

OH OH!! I missed that 80 thou thickness bit. Makes it a bit more difficult. Sounds like a spring for a sliding padio door trolley or something - I know I've seen just what you are describing in some door or window hardware a year or so back (when I spent some time helping out a customer in their window and door business)

Find an old chain-saw pull-start (or weed eater, what have you) and grab the rewind spring.Or find an old wind-up alarm clock.
http://www.brownells.com #025-149-000 Flat spring stock

Perfect!!!
Roger

like

If you don't want to order the whole assortment, check with your local locksmith. We would get these assortments and usually have a lot of the wider sizes left over.
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Jensen wrote:

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for 9075K423 but it is only .062 thick.