how to wash a car?

Reply to
robobass

Your right I forgot to mention the time I washed the step mother's car with ZEP, my dad said he wanted it *really* clean. Hey, I didn't know any better , worked great on the airplanes. Took all day to get it to shine half as much as it did. He wasn't a happy camper , but always gave few if any instructions and said when I say rabbit you jump.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

The OP just said he wasn't happy with the way he had been washing his cars, and was looking for a better way. Perhaps you construed this to mean that he was looking for lessons in maintaining a motorcar for competition in the concours, but I construed this as he was finding the chore to be a pain in the ass and he wanted to find an easier way.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I use a mop and a bucket. I can reach the whole roof from one side. Hose it off and let it dry.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

Jim McGill scribed in :

har har.... some years back I took my Mazda 323 inland with some friends. they wanted to go fishing in the river near their parents home. so off we went...... hit a mud patch that almost instantly coated the bottom of the car and stayed there, about 4 inches thick. didn't get stuck in it, I was taught to drive by an off orad rally driver (-:

but we hit that goop with the hose when we got home and it took about

2 HOURS to get it all off..... hate to think about it DRYING on there....
Reply to
DejaVU

Hot pressure wash to get the loose stuff off, then work it over with a scrub brush and hot Pinesol solution to get most of the pine tar off. Follow up with Goof Off or WD40 for spot cleaning the nasty stuff remaining. Pressure wash again. Spritz on some polish and power buff. Good for another 2 years.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Polish?

Power Buff???

Can't I just replace this with a liberal application of road salt residue?

Jim

jim rozen

How long on average do your vehicles last?

Lane

Reply to
lane

Gunner :

Sounds like my S-10 pickup....

John Kasunich

Reply to
John Kasunich

About 180K miles or so. Less if the wife forgets to put oil in the motor and runs it up a steep hill with a burned up clutch, at red line.

The idea that you can make the thing last longer by washing the road salt off the *top* of it is fundamentally flawed. The real problem is that a) they salt the hell out of the roads around here, and b) when the temps never go above ten degrees or so, you can't wash the stuff off.

Jim

jim rozen