How Would You Have Handled This One?

More and more of the new cars are going to LED tailights so bulb failure will soon be a thing of the past.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Ive had em stop me for felony license plate light. And of course, the ever popular License plate obstructed by trailer ball.

Its two of the tactics used by the cops to go on a fishing expedition. Particularly when you check and the plate lights are both burning properly.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Gerry,

Heh heh heh.... Boxing Day 10 years or so ago, Canadian Tire in downtown Toronto, I'm 2nd in line to pay for some work. The guy ahead of me is having a conniption fit .....

''"You 're charging me $19 plus tax to put in an 89 cent bulb!! I'm not paying nineteen bucks for you to do that!!!"

Service Manager....."OK, no problem Sir! We'll take it out, and you can supply us with a more expensive bulb of your choice if you wish. Labour to do that will only be an additional $10, as we've already made it so that we can get the rusty nuts off again. We still have the burnt out bulb, and we can re-install that instead if you'd rather, and still for only the additional $10."

Credit card slams on the desk.

And to another of the reply's here, I've done that new kitchen faucet thing, and I concur! Sore back and all.

.....On the other hand, I bought a new BBQ last week (on sale at Walmart), and the instructions suggested 70 minutes to put it together. Heh heh heh...lug out ALL the tools, and it's cooking steaks in 45 minutes.....win some, lose some!! Of course, it did take

20 minutes to cut up all the damn cardboard packing so that the recycle guy would take it!! Maybe they included that in their time estimate?!?

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I guess you've not looked at the tail ends of trucks equipped with them.

Besides the fact that they do fail, there are other things in the circuit that can fail in addition to the light itself.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Im curious. I know that some men tend to be color blind in the red spectrum, several friends of mine over the years were given the old red led watches and simply couldnt read them.

Any such issues with the new red led taillamps and stop lights?

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

FELONY license plate light?

I had one stop me because he "couldn't read your tag from 200' away", implying it was dirty, etc.

I went around and looked, and the trailer tag was high, clean, and easily visible. "NO, I mean your vehicle tag."

Hmmmph! He couldn't have even seen that there WAS a tag from 200' away... Fishin' again.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I still can't get used to those LED stoplights, they go on and off too quickly for my aquired taste. I much prefer the softer ramping up and down of incandescent bulbs. But, I suppose you could argue that the fast rise time of LED stoplights gives you a few more millseconds notice of what's happening ahead of you.

As far as digital watches go, I always disliked them, and as my eyes age, I can't read them at all without putting my reading glasses on. I don't have that problem with the 40 year olde Bulova Accutron (tuning fork) still humming away on my wrist.

The reason I don't like digital watches and clocks is because I long ago realized that most of us seldom really care what time it IS, we're more interested in what time it ISN'T; Like, it isn't time to be able to leave for lunch yet, or it isn't past the time the parking meter will run out.

I find that with an analog watch it's easy to just look at the angle between the minute hand and the spot on the dial where the time of the event I'm concerned about is located. I don't have to subtract 1:38 from

2:15 to realize I'd better step on it or I'll miss the kickoff. Plus, my tired eyes can do that in dim light without making me reach for my reading glasses.

Just my .02,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That's news to me. I replace a lot of bad LEDs. There is a traffic light a mile from here that has a third of the red LEDs dead, or dim and it isn't a year old.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Last winter I noticed that after a heacy showfall the LED traffic lights were covered with the white stuff, but the incandescant ones were snow-free. Difference in the amount of heat "wasted", I suppose...

Reply to
jtaylor

And, I'm pretty sure they have a narrower viewing angle than the old incandescent ones, or the guys who installed them didn't aim them correctly. I'm finding more and more intersections where I find it difficult to see the illumination of an overhead LED traffic light during the day, as my car gets near the intersection. I swear that when the same traffic light assembly housed an incandescent bulb and lens I didn't notice that problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:01:54 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

I got hit by the felony license plate light, too. It was my very first car and I had a Hollywood wolf whistle in it. The sergeant got in to check my brake pedal (cool tactic, huh? ) and saw the lever, then asked what it was. "Oh, that's an illegal siren in the vehicle, too. I'll have to write you up for that, too." This guy was the terror of Vista California in the late 60s and early 70s. IIRC, Patton was his name. He was a CSing MFer if I ever saw one.

That reminds me to replace my license plate lamp holders. Both lenses are gone after 15 years.

I'd been warned about a trailer ball obscuring my plate, too, but he was checking for alcohol breath or something. Luckily, it was after I sobered up for good.

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It gets worse the bigger the job is. Just ask my wife about the kitchen remodel I'm still doing that I started in ...

2003
Reply to
Eugene Nine

When I clean my car I never clean the plate; it belongs to the govt and they can clean it. I was only stopped once for a dirty plate, and that was when my girl friend started to clean it and I stopped her so the plate was 1/2 clean.

I'm not authorized to clean govt property ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

15 to 5 (turn arrows) watts for the leds 100 - 60 for the incandescent jk
Reply to
jk

Speaking as someone who IS red/green color blind, altho, not severely...I can still see both red and green, just not if they are near each other...what I can see is the brightness and my mind tells me that if it's at the back of a car and it's bright, it must be red.

Late father-in-law was red/green blind enough that altho he held a private pilots license before the war, the Dept. of War wouldn't let him fly...but the base commander on Saipan would send him out on recon flights...he could see the green of trees, but NOT of camo netting...so th netting stood out as being white, not something you should be seeing a lot of in the west Pacific.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

It will get better, but there will still be failures. Even if the LED Lamp is vibration resistant, the connector plug on the back isn't. And if the harness grounds out, the fuse pops the same. And the stoplight switch fails just the same...

And now instead of a $1 light bulb, you get to change a $100 to $200 custom-shaped LED Lamp Assembly built to fit your car or truck. And they'll last 10 to 15 years on a heavily used vehicle (and even longer on Grandma's car), which is right around when the car makers can obsolete out the parts because they don't sell - No, Thank You...

I'd sooner get out the soldering iron and start changing diodes.

It's bad enough that the 4" Round and the Oval standard LED lights (flange or gasket mounted) are $20 - $40 each and aren't very exciting styling wise, but at least they are a perennial design that never goes out of style.

The L.A. Metro buses gave up on expensive custom taillights long ago on the older (80's and 90's) GMC RTS-II buses in the fleet - they cut a plate that takes four of the 4" Round grommet mount LED lights vertically and fills the same hole.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 04:54:02 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

Speaking of expensive bulbs, I had a lamp go out in my Panasonic microwave last night. I pulled the special security torx screws in the back and removed the sheetmetal cover to find a very strange bulb arrangement. It took me a few minutes to find it since it had a flanged plastic (phenolic?) TO-3 transistor-style base on it with two different sized spade lug connectors! Egad, TEN BUCKS (delivered) for a 20 watt bulb?

Panasonic Part Number: F612E5Y30AP Panasonic Model: NNS543BFR INCANDESCENT LAMP (U) 125V, 60Hz, 20W

$6.20 + s/h

Does anyone have a better, cheaper source for these newfangled things? I'm in Southern Oregon.

I taped the leads and reassembled it for use until I find a bulb.

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Doesn't every "five minute job" take at least an hour? I get frightened when a simple job goes well, I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop. And for me, I can always say that it wasn't something stupid I did, just bad, weird luck.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

When I was young I new a Norweigian who escaped during the second war. He was red-green colour blind and told me that as soon as he got to the UK, and they found out he had Daltonism they put him to work on analysing photo-recon pictures; of Norway, as you might expect.

I wonder now about the difference between colour vs b&w film, and colour vs Daltonism; clearly they had both colour and b&w film then, and there wouldn't have been any use him looking at b&w pictures.

Reply to
jtaylor

Storefront windows. There was a place on the old route from Monmouth to Salem where you came straight at the general store.. "Good place to check your lights" said my Dad, in 1973. He'd been doing it when he'd first been in the area, circa 1948.

Reply to
phamp