Huge T-slotted table

I am guessing it is 3x12 feet, I have not seen it yet.

I am wondering, how much do those weigh and are they still used industrially.

Ignoramus15748

One of my customers uses similar tables for mounting large bench centers and other inspection tooling. I've also seen them used in fab shops as setup tables. Yours looks as though it has coolant troughs around the outside and some associated plumbing.

I've seen them sell at auction for between what you paid and as much as $2000 for one in pristine condition. These folks will build to order something comparable.

Ned Simmons

Ned, thanks. That American grinding makes bases, whereas this, I think, is a T slot table, not a base for something, no?

The one I won, which I have not seen yet, is probably at least somewhat rusty, look at the puddles nearby.

What do those things weigh?

Ignoramus15748

American Grinding will make t-slot tables as well as plain Blanchard ground tables. The coolant troughs on yours is what reminded me of the American Grinding tables. I have one of their small tables that originally had some sort of assembly station on it that I use for a TIG welding table.

I've seen cast tables both solid and cored, so it's hard to tell even with dimensions. And I can't tell if the top is a casting or made from plate. But the frame is not awfully big, so if I had to guess I'd say

3000 to 4000 pounds.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

0.28 pounds per cubic inch of steel is a useful approximation to remember; if the slotted part is 3x12 feet (5184 square inches) it will run about 1450 pounds per inch of thickness. On the other hand if it's smaller, say 30"x10' (3600 square inches), then about 1000 pounds per inch of thickness. So 1 to 1.5 tons for the top part, if it's 2 inches thick and solid, and maybe a ton for the supporting table.
Reply to
James Waldby