I feel Like An Idiot

I've got the larger (and the smaller) Harbor Freight horizontal band saws. The smaller one is now different than any other el cheapo 4x8 horizontal. The bigger one is quite good.

The Super Cut blade for the smaller band saw is a stock item and holds up as well as any big name brand blade I have used. I don't even consider anything else for it any more. I actually have a spare on the wall behind the saw.

A week or two ago I was in the local HF import store and saw they had 93 inch (93-1/2) blades in stock. I was excited. No more having to order blades and waiting for somebody to cut and weld it, or ordering blades off eBay and hoping they did a better than average job at the blade welder. Sure I might decide I still want Lennox M42 blades, but I wouldn't have to keep a spare on hand all the time any more. Just pick up a cheap blade locally and be good to go while waiting for a better quality blade to arrive.

Well, a couple days ago my blade broke. It was pretty worn (dull), and it gave hints of breaking (ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump) days before it actually separated. Just to make sure I took a quick look at the saw where I had written the correct blade size with a paint marker. 93-1/4 (okay I can adjust that much) x 3/4.

Yeah, NOPE! All the 93-1/2 stock blades at harbor freight are 1/2 inch wide, and unlike a vertical bandsaw you cant adjust a horizontal for a narrower blade. CRAP!

Atleast, I still have the smaller saw. Now to figure out how to swing a

12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table (end butted up to the wall) its mounted on.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
<snip>

My Dad knocked a hole through our room dividing cement block wall in the basement at bandsaw height so he could feed too long pieces in from the opposite room ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I'll move the saw before I cut a hole in the wall, but I shouldn't have to now.

Just for the heck of it I decided to check online to see if Tractor Supply had one. They had a blade called a "Hard Back" metal cutting blade in 93 x 3/4. My saw will adjust that far. 24.99 and in stock. I figured that's pretty cheap so I can risk it until some good blades come in.

When I checked out the price was 7.49 on clearance, so I went back and bought them all. Four blades. Even if they only last half as long as name brand blades I'll be money ahead. They are a finer pitch than I like, but I run coolant so chip welding in the teeth isn't a big issue.

That saw mostly gets used for aluminum. I cut most of my stainless on the little saw with oil.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Atleast, I still have the smaller saw. Now to figure out how to swing a

12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table (end butted up to the wall) its mounted on.

Bob La Londe CNC Molds N Stuff

---------------------------------

I put bigger, better wheels on my 4x6 and roll it outdoors to cut long stock. My roller table is separate so it can be used with the planer, which needs it more seriously but less often. If the stock is fairly light I balance it on the saw and raise a support under the end(s), then move the stock to cutting position. If too heavy I position and support it with the platform stacker or hang it from a tripod, haven't needed to set up the gantry for this yet. This has let it cut long 4" square steel columns and 6" square landscaping timbers.

Its width capacity is 8" against an extra fence of angle iron attached behind the OEM fence, which I ground parallel at the back edge to quickly align square against the new fence after angling it.

The saw frame twists and the blade cuts crooked if the pavement under it is uneven. I move the handle end around until the raised & lowered blade stays very close to a try square held upright in the vise.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've been buying from L A Cuttng Products , and I'm happy with their product for the price . I can't remember the last time I actually wore one out (I get the M42) becuase I usually manage to do something stupid and ruin it before then . Usually involves thin stock ...

Reply to
Snag

I got a couple blades from them a long time ago. I think it was on your recommendation. They arrived only partially welded. I contacted them about it and got no response. The blades were okay, but both broke at the weld before I thought they were dull. I have been buying blades from MSC for the bigger saws, but they don't tell you that none of the sizes they list actually exist in the warehouse. They are all cut and welded to order so it takes a few days longer than you would think. I've been buying the Lennox bimetal M42 blades, and the welds have never been an issue from MSC.

On the CamBam forum I posted about this and Lloyd Sponenburgh mentioned he also liked the SuperCut bimetal blades from Harbor Freight. I recall having seen the name at other than Harbor Freight before so I looked them up today. They make their premium blades in sizes that fit most saws. You just can't buy them from Harbor Freight.

They sell carbon steel (pretty cheap) and bi-metal (kinda expensive) for metal in most sizes.

The have a few options for wood in most lengths as well, but they don't lean into the wood market like Woodcraft or Highland. I am particularly fond of the Highland Wood Slicer for resaw work.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bummer that you got bad service from them . Everything I've bought from them has been top notch , but then I only buy 2 sizes - Portaband and 4x6 and both are among the most common around .

Reply to
Snag

No hard feelings. I won't buy from them again if there are other options. The blades came with an expiration date like HP printer cartridges. LOL. (No HP printers in this shop either.)

Everything I've bought

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've been buying from L A Cuttng Products , and I'm happy with their product for the price . I can't remember the last time I actually wore one out (I get the M42) becuase I usually manage to do something stupid and ruin it before then . Usually involves thin stock ... Snag

----------------------------

I bought these for thin tubing and angle and haven't had a problem yet.

Jim Wilkins

On the CamBam forum I posted about this and Lloyd Sponenburgh mentioned he also liked the SuperCut bimetal blades from Harbor Freight. I recall having seen the name at other than Harbor Freight before so I looked them up today. They make their premium blades in sizes that fit most saws. You just can't buy them from Harbor Freight.

Bob La Londe

Thanks. I just discovered that the HF battery fluid pump is another unexpected goodie.

Jim Wilkins

"HARD BACK" is just a carbon steel blade. OK for aluminum, will not last long in SS.

Randy

Reply to
randy333

Yeah, I pretty much figured to treat them like plane carbon steel blades.

Reply to
Bob La Londe