I have Arrived!!

There are a few milestones in life that signal graduation to the next
level. Your first drivers license, Your first marriage, your first
divorce, the AARP letter and today I reached the ultimate milestone.
Today I received a REAL NEW McMaster-Carr catalog in the mail.
Unsolicited! M/C has finally recognized my little antique and Chinese
shop as a real customer!
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore
OK, now share with us how you did it. Do you spend a lot with them?
Lane
Reply to
lane
I just picked up one today from one of the buyers in our procurement department. He got a shipment of 20 to distribute as he saw fit amongst 3,000+ employees. I should have brought him donuts!
Reply to
Mike Henry
Donuts? I think he wants more than that,...
;)
Joel. phx
Reply to
Joel Corwith
I just threw out the last four years, together with the last couple of years of the MSC catalogue. They were just taking up too much space on the shelf.
I never quite got what is so special about the Mc.Master-Carr catalogue. Their prices are higher than almost anyone elses in the entire country.
Abrasha
Abrasha
Don't know how you did it! When I was actively engaged in running my commercial machine shop, I sent a request for their catalog on my letterhead and wasn't given so much as the courtesy of a reply. I never did hear from them, ever. I also never spent any of my money with them, nor do I care to now. There are other suppliers that are willing to provide their goods and services to others without making them feel insignificant. I restrict my business to them.
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
Abrasha wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@abrasha.com:
What little they are higher than most is made up for in delivery and service. Almost everything I order from McMaster arrives the next day, (order time dependent) without additional shipping charges.
Reply to
Anthony
The other end of the spectrum is Digikey. They are also a bit expensive but have great service- with them its apparently difficult to stop the catalogs. At one point we had 5 copies showing up each month. It took several months before we could convince them they only had to send 1.
Gregm
Reply to
Greg Menke
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:20:09 -0500, Glenn Ashmore vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Christ! I thought you had finished the boat!
**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email
Spike....Spike? Hello?
Reply to
Old Nick
I got spam'd by a fellow I never heard of offering to *sell* out-of-date McMaster's, does that count?
Reply to
Toolbert
M/C has finally recognized my little antique and Chinese
What's a Chinese shop?
Reply to
Randy Replogle
It is equipped with all that oriental machinery you guys disparage. :-)
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore
A local man was building his own yacht. Spent years making machinery... Metal rolls driven by a tractor pto to roll the hull plates, a contraption to spray hot zinc, etc... Finally all of that stuff was at a local metal yard. He figured out that he could travel to China, and have a boat yard build the boat complete, for less than the cost of the steel locally. A sad commentary on the state of world trade, but an exciting adventure for him....
Pete
Reply to
Pete Logghe
Mike
He got a shipment of 20 to distribute as he saw fit amongst 3,000+ employees. I should have brought him donuts!
Pray tell where do you work that there are 3,000+ employees? I would feel as though I were nobody at best. But then again there might be other advantages that I am not aware of. We had 12 at times. 8 most of the time. Bob AZ
Reply to
RWatson767
Joel
Donuts? I think he wants more than that,...
Perhaps a case of good beer is in order.
Reply to
RWatson767