idea for mosquito trap

I am building a house in the forest with millions of mosquitoes. I was
thinking of buying a 3' diameter, 10000 cfm industrial fan and attaching a
large "bag" made from vinyl window screen. The mosquitoes would get blown
into the bag and I could run this thing all day then kill all the mosquitoes
in the bag. Has anyone ever tried such a device, do you think it would put a
dent in the mosquito population? Thanks
Reply to
habbi
That sounds like a good way to catch them, but gluing them all together into the shape of a house is going to be tough. Good luck, though.
-Tom
Reply to
Tom Young
I know that CO2, carbon dioxide, attracts them. That is we breath out and hence they come to us. However I do notice that they like my wife a lot more than me. Would the noise and vibrations from such a big fan scare them away?
Lane
Reply to
Lane
That's hilarious, it is funny what you don't notice sometimes.
Reply to
habbi
Most mosquito ridding devices are gimmicks. It's real dumb to build a house where there are millions of mosquitoes if you mind them a lot. I suggest putting up bat houses in large quantities, and killing the larvae in the spring on all the standing water in the neighborhood, and put frogs in all the nearby lakes. As far as devices, see what your neighbors do. I don't believe there is much of a solution, but if there is, I'd love to know about it. Spend money on screens for your house. - GWE
habbi wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Ever heard of a Mosquito Magnet? Burns propane to generate warm CO2 as an attractant.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
Reply to
Ron Thompson
Wow...Mine too. Really, we both go outside at the same time...she'll get like 10x more bites than me. Must have something to do with the soap/shampoo or something...
Todd
Reply to
Todd Rearick
After finding one with its wings stuck to a TV screen I've wondered what a static generator would do to them. I'd give it a try but, that was the only mosquito that I've seen in years. There's got to be some gizmo that will get them.
I remember as a kid trying to get that one mosquito buzzing around the room when trying to go to sleep. Turn the light on and it would land so fast I couldn't spot it. Turn the light off till it buzzes and turn it back on over and over till its lights are turned off. It was that or sleep with the blanket over your head or wake up with red bumps on your face. If I lived in a place like that again it would be an ongoing quest to find something that would work.
Reply to
Sunworshiper
Supposing it worked, how would it discriminate between mosquitoes and other flying critters? Or, are all of them pests? (G)
Jim
Reply to
Jim Wilson
NO. but a U.V. Light is used to attract them in all the commercial yard size-- Put one in front of the suction side of the blower
Lane wrote:
Reply to
jerry Wass
This is like trying to clean the air around your house of dust by running a vacuum cleaner on the front porch. Even if you have a perfect filter, the intake volume is just replaced by unfiltered air in an open system.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
I've read that the UV light doesn't work for mosquitoes
Lane.
Reply to
Lane
Just FYI, I found this while briefly looking for mosquito info. This page has test results that say their product is 3x better than the Mosquito Magnet.

Lane
Reply to
Lane
UV attracts insects that fly by moonlight - some of them eat mosquitos. It does not attract mosquitos though - why would you want to kill the good insects that are helping you out?
Reply to
william_b_noble
I had to read that a few times :-)
Reply to
Scott Moore
Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell
Reply to
Gunner
The Mother Earth News ran an article a long time back called "Dick's Bug Machine" or something like that. It used a light bulb over an automotive heater blower to suck flying critters in and used pantyhose for a net. They fed the bugs to the chickens. I tried it and got fantastic eggs! Emptying it every morning was a pain. I eventually modified it to blow the bugs down into the chicken's watering pan. The catch rate dropped some, but was still enough to get good eggs. I never noticed a drop in bugs, though. There seems to be an inexhaustible supply.
Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
Reply to
Ron Thompson
Invest in dragonfly larvae. They (voraciously) eat the mosquito larvae in the water, the dragonflies eat them on the wing. Encourage bats. Just about when the dragonflies pack it in for the day, the bats come out.
Steve Smith Forest and bogs, Maine
habbi wrote:
Reply to
Steve Smith
Trying to control mosquitoes by catching them is like trying to bail the water out of the ocean. The same goes for squirrels.
Reply to
Ken Moffett
Hey Habbi,
Well, tornadoes around here don't seem to put much of a dent in the mosquito population. But here is a little "tip" somebody sent me just the other day. Haven't had a chance to try it myself yet............
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Put some water in a white dinner plate and add a couple drops of "Lemon Fresh Joy" dish detergent. Set the dish on your porch, patio, or other outdoor area. Not sure what attracts them, the lemon smell, the white plate color, or what, but mosquitoes flock to it, and drop dead shortly after drinking the Lemon Fresh Joy/water mixture, and usually within about 10 feet of the plate. Check this out---it works just super! May seem trivial, but it may help control mosquitoes around your home, especially in the South and elsewhere where the West Nile virus is reaching epidemic proportions in mosquitoes, birds, and humans. ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Have you tried "fogging"? Or you could just build in the winter, of course.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson