idea for mosquito trap

Where would you buy dragonfly larvae? The only water near me is saltwater

Reply to
habbi

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:07:59 -0700, "Lane" calmly ranted:

Hey, and ONLY $499 for the Premier or $699 for the Ultra! Mosquito Magnet Solar ONLY $1,079? Plus Octenol strips @ $10/ea and UV lamps @ $10/ea plus propane plus electricity plus maintenance... (Ouch, why does my head hurt?)

Wouldn't a wee bit more garlic in the diet be cheaper and better?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:21:54 -0500, Ken Moffett calmly ranted:

And cockroaches.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That makes two of us.

CO2 is the only thing I'm aware of that's useful as an attractant for them.

As for the "big fan and bag" idea, well... Imagine these words coming at you in the voice of the comic-book guy from the Simpsons: "Worst. Idea. Ever."

If ever there was a dumber idea for catching/killing skeeters, I have yet to hear it.

Reply to
Don Bruder

My sister-in-law sent me that tip last year. I thought it was mostly crap, but my wife tried it. It works! Trouble is, if you don't have a lot of sheltered areas to place the pans, the rain washes them out (if you don't have rain, then mosquitos aren't going to be much of a problem). It was worth the bother to refill them, though. We used cheap white stove burner covers instead of plates. Also, Mosquito Dunks work well where standing water can't be removed (in my case, the corrugations in drain culvert); they contain a microbe that kills the little wriggling bastards.

Besides bats, Purple Martins and Chimney Swifts are good daytime killers of mosquitos. I really hate bloodsucking invertebrates - including lawyers.

Joe

Brian Laws> Hey Habbi,

Reply to
Joe

Chuckle!! What is it, Todd, you don't use soap or shampoo?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Dunno, Don. Could be it would work strictly by chance. If nothing else, it would certainly get the ones that were in the vicinity and got caught up with the moving air. I think the idea has merit.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Ditto!

Reply to
Jeepers

Grant must have had a bad one or is wary.

I have two models - two companies. Both function. Both trap the biting types. However, they don't and state they don't trap one species or sub-species really - I think IIRC the Tiger - from South East Asia. It just goes for the kill.

They have propane units - function much the same, except 'flow' and shape is different.

The CO2 and scent attracts the biting females. They fly close - looking for red meat :-) and are swept into the air draft that moves them into a trap.

No females or fewer - less eggs - less next time, less and less.

Second year and the first two weeks we had countable swarms and now only sparse singles.

The birds are active, but never before got enough of them.

We have flycatchers and some tee-tiny types and likely some bats by the way they fly and avoid stuff on the deck.

Mart> Most mosquito ridding devices are gimmicks. It's real dumb to build a

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

It did for me, the birds liked eating the droppings the day afer...

I finally got tired of buying the UV lamps and bought a real type.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Still hard to say though. If you could enclose the (house/porch/whatever) in a vent system such that all the mosquitoes entering are swept downstream into the large fan and filtered, it would work for the area. And certainly there is a definite number of mosquitoes in the area, but "literally millions" truely is bordering on "filtering the atmosphere". But it would still take a tremendous amount of airflow.

Tim

Tim Williams

Heh, I'll expand a little. I had to wake up at 7am to go to the test. I normally sleep into the afternoon. So despite getting to sleep several hours early... Oh, and it was ACT, not SAT. Told ya I was tired. ;)

Ya, I already know the futility of cramming.. I value sleep much more. ;)

I'm going to presume the same...

Absolutely. Although you have to know a few things to pass the math part, pythagorean theorem for instance.

"Graduated" home school last month. :) Gonna see what kind of engineering stuff I can do in College, EE to be exact. Beloit College says they can offer me some quality stuff before doing grad work somewhere else. That'll also pan out because I won't leave my foundry, just stay here (at least for the first couple years). ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

Reply to
Don Foreman

Pyrethrin thermal fog. It's eco-responsible (made from chrysanthemums) and it works even in the MN northwoods.

Lay fog about dusk on days when wind is about zero. (If there's any wind, skeeters aren't a problem.)

I did a controller for 18 HP foggers used for serious skeeter control in jungle sits, but a simple Bernz-O-Matic fogger does the job on my

10 acres in northern MN.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Doesn't work that well. That's what my county currently uses. The fogger truck came by yesterday, and today the biting bastards tried to carry me off. But in the "good old days", the county used DDT mixed with kerosene. *That* worked. Might've made birds' eggshells soft, but it sure as hell killed the mosquitoes and blow flies, and one application was good for the whole season.

I love the smell of dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane in the morning. It smells like victory.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

It works very well if used correctly. The time to use it is near dusk on a calm day, preferably with a slight temperature inversion so it hangs close to the ground for a while. I can sit outside at night in a lawnchair at "the lake" reading a book after fogging. It works even better if used two or three days in succession, weather permitting.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Rather than do paperwork, I decide to respond to what Don Bruder foisted Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:22:04 GMT on rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

A pair of Tweezers, very tiny bits of gauze full of ether, and a Kolibiri in 2.7mm. You catch them with the tweezers, and knock them out with the ether soaked gauze. Then the hard part, you have to aim between the eyes with the Kolibiri and shoot them before they wake up. (the hard part is aiming between the eyes.) But its a very humane way to dispatch the little blighters.

cheerios pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

|| A pair of Tweezers, very tiny bits of gauze full of ether, and a ||Kolibiri in 2.7mm. You catch them with the tweezers, and knock them out ||with the ether soaked gauze. Then the hard part, you have to aim between ||the eyes with the Kolibiri and shoot them before they wake up. (the hard ||part is aiming between the eyes.) But its a very humane way to dispatch the ||little blighters.

Humane my ass! We are looking for Mass Murder of the little blood-sucking peckerheads!! WMDs are in order! Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

blood-sucking

I'm not sure how, but I remember 35 years ago riding my bike up and down the back alleys of Saskatoon following the mosquito fogger ... that was a good mass murder method , and I still don't get bit to this day :)

Dave

Reply to
DaveK

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) fosted Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:56:40 GMT on rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

That is for the little peckerheads.

The middling ones you can take out with a shotgun (but don't use the wimpy bird shot.)

But for the bigger ones, well, 5 inch guns are a bit much, but effective.

Well, that explains it. My Dad tells me that when he was at Elmendorf, they had one land on the taxi way, and had a 500 pounds of JP-4 in it before they realized it wasn't an experimental aircraft ... . Of course I believe him. He's my Dad, and a Preacher too!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich