IE Error Message

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK, so how do I contact the Internet Explorer's support team? I presume the application or the runtime library has gotten corrupted, but I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions? Reinstall IE? Reinstall Win XP? Buy a new computer?

Of course, if Internet Explorer was working, I could go online at the MS website, but I don't have that option. Thanks for any advice you guys might be able to offer.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

This is often a symptom of a virus interfering with the system (although it could also be a corruption of IE as well). If your e-mail is working, and you have high speed, someone on broadband could try sending you Firefox so you can go download AVG, Spybot, AdAware, CWShredder, and ZoneAlarm. If you're on low speed, try to go to a friend's house who has a CD burner.

While I don't like Norton or Mcafee (if you're running them), note that no virus scanner will catch every virus, especially new ones, and since you can't really run more than one at a time, virus prevention should be proactive, and not just rely on a program to catch it.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

IE is still free, right? If so, I'd simply do a wipe and re-install.

What anti-virus stuff are you running?

I'd do a disk clean-up first to wipe out all the temp files though... And I expect a full post-incident report later this week, in person, verbally.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Ugh. A reinstall is rarely needed, and is a very intrusive way to fix a system.

To the OP: Find a local geek with a USB thumb drive or CD burner, install firefox, and never use IE as a webbrowser again. Firefox is faster and more secure. Once you have firefox, download: ad-aware from

- run it, get the update, scan your system, clean off the spyware. THEN - download AVG Antivirus from
- update and run _that_. Set 'em both to auto-update and autoscan.

Ugh. That's needed in less than 5% of the infected systems I've dealt with. If your data is worth more than a couple of hours of effort, and/or if your backups aren't up to date, that's the absolute last resort.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What data does a disk clean-up destroy? It only deletes cookies, temp internet files, etc. I suggest it because I have no clue how large his cache is. In theory, if he browses the net a lot and has a huge cache, it could cause a problem.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I could swear I saw "reinstall" in your post. If not, then nevermind, but just cleaning a cache also won't remove any viruses or other malware...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

LOL. Reinstall IE was my first comment...

Disk clean-up was suggested as a first step. It's a Windows function in XP (and maybe 98, 2000, etc.) Mostly it's harmles... Except if you have important or large files cached that are necessary for something.

99% of the time, it's a good idea to do it often just to keep the disk clean - and thus unfragmented.
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Ah. But that's just replacing the broken component with the same thing that's going to break and be insecure anyway. Better to fix the root cause of the problem.

Right, but I'm not aware of any viruses which just stay in your disk cache rather than installing themselves somewhere more insidious.

Removing cache files and defragmenting a hard drive are two very different things.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I was answering his question - which referred to fixing IE. I totally agree with you otherwise...

It isn't meant to cean up virus problems... Maybe some tracking cookins that act as adware... But that's about it. It simply frees up resources.

True. But having a virtually empty hard drive doesn't cause Windows or any other OS to "fit" programs in a bunch of small slots and thus fragment them... Cleaning up a few megs (sometimes hundreds of megs) worth of cache stuff can help keep the fragmentation level low. You still need to defrag often IMHO.

Now... Let's talk about something more on topic to this group... My favorite cheese is Locatelli... Yours?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Well, OK, but sometimes the right answer is to fix the real problem, not to help them to prolong it. Also - what version of IE is he going to have on hand, and what security holes are in that? How long will it take to download the current version or patches for it, and how does that compare to the current time-to-owned period (measured in single-digit minutes last I saw it)?

Well, it's a good start, but a full spyware scan and then a full antivirus scan will give him the fix he needs.

Oh, definately Gudbrandsdalsost, without a doubt. Warm, sliced thin, of course.

Dave Hinz

I have a slight advantage... I know the end user... I know his connection and I can reliably guess the system he is usung based on software I know he is running...

But you are 100% correct. Solving the root problem is almost always the right way to answer the question.

I run Norton on one machine and AVG on the other. AdAware on both and XCleaner plus Disk Cleanup weekly. Never had a virus or adware problem... But I suppose we are all open to it at one point or another...

Copying myself at home to view and potentially research/buy... Cheese lover here...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

It's worth the search. The better local grocery stores in Wisconsin have it, possibly because we have a lot of Norwegians here.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Some Spyware programs cause this error by hijacking your browser, Try using AdAware SE, it's free at PCworld.com.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Johnstone

Go to Google..select NEWS above the search box, then put in "runtime error" in the box and "search" You'll get many links with "fixes"

Reply to
Rudy

That's very good advice, but I couldn't get IE running to DO a Google search!

I now have it running by doing a restore back a point where it was working (If you're going to have Windows, this one feature almost makes it OK). I'm now working on some of the fixes suggested. Thanks for all the advice.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

That's funny you say that... My best friend is Norwegian. He goes to an almost all Norwegian church 800 people strong... Maybe I'll pull some strings to find the cheese. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Risky. Some of the "fixes" will make things worse. Stick with reputable removal tools; start with AdAware and AVG Antivirus. Watch the spelling carefully, there are imposters out there which also make your systems worse. Some will even charge you $29.95 for the honor of having your system further screwed.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Do the easy thing. Go to

download/install firefox.