Illinois State cops have no crime to occupy them?

It pissed me off so bad I drove straight through to Minnesota, stopping only for gas and a meal. 27 hrs if I remember correctly. I was told later they have a police college in town so you chances of getting stopped by a rookie in training are good Steve.

Reply to
Up North

Just tell the truth, then you don't need to remember shit. :-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Or even better, tell them nothing they have no right to know.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Last week we drove from Texas to Wisconsin, including a few hours in Illinois and the Western edge of the Chicago area. I disarmed at the border, and told my wife we weren't stopping again until we were out of Illinois. I did not intend to leave a dime of my money there.

Reply to
RBnDFW

He was looking for marijuana, meth, or whatever. He didn't have a drug-sniffing dog available, so he just put you under stress for a bit, and you kept your cool, so he let you go. There is a HUGE amount of "stuff" flowing past this area (I live in St. Louis, and the cops are always finding a truckload of something being trucked through by out-of-state drivers) and it is a bit of a business to the police depts. as they get a cut of federal $ from intercepting illegal drugs.

Oh, when you follow a semi, there are huge vortices rolling off the back of the trailer, and they can cause your trailer to weave badly, some times so bad you have to brake and back off to get away from them. I experienced some of that while driving a 15-passenger stretch-extended Ram van with a 16' U-haul trailer from St. Louis to Tampa and back a few years ago.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I've had two chances, South Carolina in late 70's, Michigan in late 80's. They asked, I said no, not without a warrant.

Both times I got no grief or a ticket.

I used to shoot IDPA with a local area police officer, he told me that they mostly catch the dumb criminals. He was real up front about about it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

left quickly.

I never could figure out what he was after. His questions were all over the place, all of a more personal nature than I would have ever guessed would have been relvant to anything.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Except he never went back to his car to check on anything.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Still. It's a good thing to keep in mind.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

They only need reasonable suspicion to search a vehicle. Probable cause is required for getting a search warrant for a house.

Non sequiter. Cops aren't authority figures. They're public servants. It's when they think they're authority figures that it starts rubbing me the wrong way, as it should anyone.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Indeed!!

Gunner, one time deputy

GUNNER'S PRAYER: "God grant me the serenity to accept the people that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference. And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Always been pissed about Illinois Highway Patrol. 1968, my new wife and I were going to Dayton, OH for a company school. I was speeding in the middle of nowhere outside St. Louis by exceeding the speed limit by 10 over. cop pulled me over and left my wife in the car and told me to get in the state car. He called in records and then proceeded to drive 20 over because his wheels were out of balance about 15 miles for me to drop $25 in a mail box for my ticket. Then the 15 or so miles back to the car. We got back to my car and wife, and I looked at the cop and said it was his lucky day. If anything had happened to my wife I would have killed him on the spot. He started to reach for his gun, and I said, that I doubt any jury would convict me. It would be justified. I always regret not taking it all the way to the Governor of the state. I hope he learned from the encounter. And I would have killed him.

Reply to
CalifBill

Actually, I meant the "little tin Jesuses" part...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

There are plenty of places to look it up. n. (idiom) a self-important, dictatorial person also "little tin God"

Reply to
Steve Ackman

In Texas at least, you can deny an LEO search of your vehicle without a warrant.

Reply to
RBnDFW

You would have been the one who would have been dead.

A man who holds a grudge for over 40 years needs some therapy.

You could have easily have had your wife join you for the ride.

And making threats..even after 40 years...is still making threats.

TMT

He took off leaving my wife there. And I would have killed him on the spot! I would not kill him now, and it is still wrong 40 years later. 40 years does not make it correct. And why would you figure I would be the one dead?

Reply to
CalifBill

In all states that recognize the 5th Amendment.

Gunner

GUNNER'S PRAYER: "God grant me the serenity to accept the people that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference. And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Because TMT is an utter buffoon.

I really wish you guys would simply killfile the dumb son of a bitch and be done with it. Ive had the moron in my kill file for at least 3 yrs and I STILL read his diarettic spew 10-20 times a day.

Gunner

GUNNER'S PRAYER: "God grant me the serenity to accept the people that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference. And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

That lets out the "boo-hoo" states...

Reply to
Eregon

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 12:50:40 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

That's what I've been whining about to you and Tawm for eons, turkey. All of you, please DFTFT!

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques