Income gap between rich and poor

That's very convincing, George. Now, how much effect do you think it has on Tawwwwwm and the rest of the minimum-wage hawks?

It should be clear now that, when it conflicts with personal stories, real or imaginary, or when it conflicts with ideology-based beliefs, the facts don't stand a chance in this NG.

I hope you enjoy the exercise, because that's all we're going to get from honestly seeking out the facts.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Why single out this ng? That's life.

=========== Like Will Rogers said "It ain't what you don't know that hurts you -- its what you know that just ain't so."

Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Not as much. This group -- and the pestholes that messages posted here are often linked to -- contains a disproportionate percentage of people who are especially invested in their preconceived ideas. In my experience, anyway.

It's an interesting window on that psychological behavior. I have no illusions that the most careful, fact-based arguments will overcome it.

In real life, I just happen to run into a higher percentage of people who are open to reason over ideology. Your efforts here are careful enough, and thorough enough, that I have to react with a cynical smile. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And on the face of it, however, it is hard to believe that increasing the minimum wage greatly helps many workers.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster