Installed vacuum gauge on the vac pump (Don)

Don, thanks for your suggestion, I went to home depot and bought a flare to compression adapter, and compression to pipe adapter. A helpful HD salesman flared and gave me a small piece of 3/8" tubing. With all that, I installed a vacuum gauge that I had.

The good news is that the pump pulls good vacuum. The GAST gauge (pulled from a broken pump a year ago) is very inaccurate, it is not even zeroed, but it shows vacuum in the "neighborhood" of 28 inches. That's good enough for pretty much any application for myself, and likely the pump works close to its spec of 25 microns. Its appearance suggests that it was only lightly used.

The bad news is that the about 1" piece of copper tubing will eventually fail from vibration, as it vibrates somewhat and supports a cross fitting and a vacuum gauge (eventually to be also fitted with a connector to an air tank, a valve, and a connector to whatever is being vacuumed).

I decided to not worry about it too much, when it fails, I will think of something better or may try to use a much shorter piece of copper tubing, or maybe I will mount the gauge and fittings separately using plastic tubing. Whatever. There is no safety issue here.

I decided to take a little risk and try a $18.99, five gallon air tank from Sears. If it collapses, not a big deal -- but I think that a smaller tank is less likely to collapse than a big one.

I will also try to fit a exhaust filter (to capture oil mist), also a pull from a rusted 1/3 HP gast pump. Here, I am just a little worried that a filter made for a 1/3 HP pump, may be in somne ways inadequate for a 1/2 HP pump. Any thoughts on this?

Ignoramus14487

RoyJ

Sounds great Roy, thanks. I do not care if that evacuation lasts slightly longer. I will definitely install an exhaust filter to prevent stinky oil mist from coming out.

Ignoramus14487

If your salvaged oil mist eliminator comes apart, check to see how it looks inside. Some use cartridges that can be replaced, but they are pricey. The one on my Kinney had come apart from years of being oily. It contains activated charcoal. I rebuilt it with readily available charcoal from aquarium supplies for only a buck or two. Works great!

Dennis

Reply to
DT

Thanks... Mine is easy to take apart, it has a metallic can that is screwed into the top where the air connectors come in. I will check what is inside. I have both intake and exhaust filters, in fact two of each (remnants of a very bad military surplus deal with 2 bad vac pumps)

Ignoramus14487

IIRC the fitting on the control valve end of the hose from the regulator to control of a propane barbecue is the required female flare, this can be silver brazed to whatever your heart desires. his fitting and hose provides flex between my compressor and tank. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller