Bridgeport in the movie _The Thing About My Parents_

Saw the movie, _The Thing About My Parents_ tonight. About 30 minutes into the picture Paul Reiser and Peter Falk wind up stranded at a car repair shop in the country with an eccentric mechanic, and there prominently in the foreground of several shots is a nicely restored Bridgeport M head. I guess the director thought it would evoke a working auto shop atmosphere.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

A BP in an auto repair shop is a rare thing, at least in Texas. Even a small lathe is almost unheard of.

Reply to
Rex B

But perhaps something you'd find in the shop of a mechanic who's eccentric and very competent.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I was surprised a few years ago to find one in a Harley Davidson motorcycle shop. They told me that is normal.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

Richard J K> Saw the movie, _The Thing About My Parents_ tonight. About 30 minutes into

Reply to
spaco

Cool! An M head, too! Was it a round ram? That dates it roughly to pre WW-II.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Here, I made some frame captures to see:

There's also some kind of nice old drill press in the 2nd frame.

Eccentric but competent was what the mechanic is supposed to be. He winds up selling the old man (Falk) an elegantly restored 1940 Ford convertible dream car.

Here's a link to the IMDB on this movie:

I would give it my thumbs up. Not just for the Bridgeport.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch