Interesting Math Problem

I dunno. I remember the formulas. Theory sometimes escapes me if I don't use it often enough.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Many thanks to all who participated in this discussion.

I learned some new math, and a new way to use Excel and, all in all, very much enjoyed the conversation.

We even managed to stay pretty much on topic!!

I am back to school tomorrow and will create packets of the interesting methods for solving this problem and distribute them to the math teachers. I have no doubt that any of them have the math skills to solve this thing but with the number of students they have to deal with, and since they must get so focused on what they are teaching at the given moment, I have not had much feedback from them.

I would not want to be a classroom teacher. Whatever the pay it is not enough. OTOH when I express admiration for those who have to face a new group of dis-interested students every 60 minutes they usually reply that they know that in 60 minutes those students will have moved on where as I have my students ALL day for six to ten days in a row.

I suppose it is all in what you get used to.

Thanks again,

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

I think the easy way to approach this problem would be to make a scale drawing, and then measure the distance X.

This would give you a close approximation. Now you could use the brute force trial and error method to get to the result.

Looking at the algebra that Marv provided, kinda gives me a headache.

I am keeping this to have one of my learned friends explain the algebra to me in terms I can understand.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf