Interesting quiz on various science knowlege

Well, not precisely, due to the thoughtfulness of Interstate Highway planners. What was that buffer zone they gave us, 20 miles?

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

__ __ |A | |B | __ __ |__| __ __ |__| [__][__][__][__][__][__] /\ /__\

If box A weighs 300 kg, how much does box B weigh?

[] 50 kg [] 100 kg [] 150 kg [] 300 kg
Reply to
beryl

The correlation may not mean much.

If intelligent, then knowledge (Valid) If knowledge, then intelligent. (Invalid, and this is all the quiz looks for)

_____ _____ | A | | B | _____ _____|_____| _____ _____|_____| [_____|_____|_____][_____|_____|_____] /\ / \ /____\

If box A weighs 300 kg, how much does box B weigh?

The question above does require a bit of common knowledge to get you started. But it goes beyond that, while remaining simple. The simpleminded won't see it.

Reply to
beryl

60 kg.

They will if they had a course in statics, centroids, and the law of moments.

I see your point, and I agree that knowledge and intelligence are not the same thing, as well as your point that one can have one without the other.

When you look at the statistics, however, you find that the correlations on the whole are very strong. Intelligent people tend to be very curious people. And the not-so-intelligent people who are willing to work extra hard to conquer difficult subjects are not particularly common.

There are some, of course, and they tend to have good discipline or other positive traits. Hats off to them. Just don't let them cloud the general tendencies.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I guarantee that Michelle A. Terrell sees Box B sitting three times as far from the fulcrum as Box A, but will remain silent.

Reply to
beryl

'Don't know, I plonked him. His spittle was making the floor slippery.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes. Intelligence is, among other things, an ability to see the relationships between items of knowledge.

Yes, for instance, the Shelly Long character on "Cheers", or our own Hawwk-Ptooey with his oh so precious poli sci BA.

Mensa has developed tests for preliterate children which seem to accurately reflect scores achieved later in life. Not really an answer, though, intelligence needs something to work with and preliterate doesn't mean they haven't already learned useful things.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Yes, Ed Huntress mentioned that. Your historical pattern is well known.

That was 264 mph, right? Obviously astride a 1000, a Ninja 600 wouldn't go that fast.

Reply to
beryl

On 12/19/2011 06:44 PM, Gunner Asch wrote: ...

Yeah, Smryna. Inspired by nearby Smyrna, but railroad officials didn't want our towns to become confused. Someday smart people will be tagged Smrynans, just as stupid people came to be called Morons.

My street goes by three different names. After I explain it carefully, thoroughly, people still can't find my house.

Thanks.

Reply to
beryl

There sees to be a lot of that going on.

And it's not even an election year - yet.

But, politics is politics. Even here.

And no politician will ever STFU. even here...

Reply to
Richard

I'm practicing strategic plonking and blocking, and it's starting to work. There really is an undercurrent of metalworking posts going on, after all. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yep. And interesting stuff too.

Reply to
Richard

I think you had to get dressed after. Every thread would have been torn away. And your neck would be broken.

Reply to
beryl

Your quote doesn't make any sense. Only a stupid person would repeat his own idiocy at the end of every post without realizing it.

Reply to
beryl

yootoob is beyond my grasp.

I doubt that the windscreen, or any other plastic pieces, would have stayed on Gummer's Ninja at 260 mph. Gummer would have been torn off also. But the tires would have already exploded.

Reply to
beryl

Having a dream like that, it's no wonder you soiled yourself.

Reply to
beryl

Another cool video.

-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Big deal, that was only Don Vesco's twin-engined streamliner at Bonneville. But you set a record riding on the street at Taft! WOW!

Reply to
beryl

Yeah, and here it is:

It was a fully-enclosed Bonneville streamliner with twin turbocharged engines, you freaking idiot.

By the Ack Attack, another multi-engined, supercharged Bonneville streamliner:

On a Ninja, no doubt -- since you claim to have beaten the world record for Ninjas by 33 mph. d8-)

What a phony.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

One of the car record holders, perhaps Donald Campbell, realized the futility of it when he was comfortably flying home, eating supper, and heard the stewardess announce their speed which was over 100 MPH faster than the record he had nearly died for.

A 1934 contest between custom British racing planes and US-built airliners, one flying its regular route with passengers:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Oh, jeez. The memories...

1968, riding a Yamaha 175 with Gyt Kit in the Jack Piner Enduro when I hit a log, went 15 feet in the air and did TWO backflips, keeping my feet on the pedals, shifted down in mid-air to compensate for the loss of speed, and landed upright to finish the race...of course I won, beating all the Bultacos , Huskies, Montesas and several former world champions....

Ah, to live in Gunner's Walter Mitty fantasy world.

Reply to
Ed Huntress