Interesting quiz on various science knowlege

On 12/20/2011 09:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Big deal, that was only Don Vesco's twin-engined streamliner at Bonneville. But you set a record riding on the street at Taft! WOW!

Oh, jeez. The memories...
1968, riding a Yamaha 175 with Gyt Kit in the Jack Piner Enduro when I hit a log, went 15 feet in the air and did TWO backflips, keeping my feet on the pedals, shifted down in mid-air to compensate for the loss of speed, and landed upright to finish the race...of course I won, beating all the Bultacos , Huskies, Montesas and several former world champions....
Ah, to live in Gunner's Walter Mitty fantasy world. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

Yeah, and here it is:
http://www.classicyams.com/special-yamaha-bikes/special-yamaha-bikes/yamaha/don-vesco-streamliner.html
It was a fully-enclosed Bonneville streamliner with twin turbocharged engines, you freaking idiot.

By the Ack Attack, another multi-engined, supercharged Bonneville streamliner:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/122_0809_top_1_oil_ack_attack_fim_world_record/photo_01.html

On a Ninja, no doubt -- since you claim to have beaten the world record for Ninjas by 33 mph. d8-)

What a phony.
--
Ed Huntress

One of the car record holders, perhaps Donald Campbell, realized the futility of it when he was comfortably flying home, eating supper, and heard the stewardess announce their speed which was over 100 MPH faster than the record he had nearly died for.
A 1934 contest between custom British racing planes and US-built airliners, one flying its regular route with passengers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacRobertson_Air_Race
jsw

Hmmm, but many of those require some knowledge of the physics involved. I don't believe it's a very good test of reasoning power in isolation.
As a mechanical type of guy, with a lot of electronics background on top of it, I answered all of those almost in knee-jerk fashion. There wasn't a lot of reasoning. I've seen them all before, and I've been tripped up by the pulley questions before <g>, so I knew how to consider them.
It really is tough to construct any conventional test that isolates intelligence from knowledge.

With all due respect to Gunner, I am still laughing. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On 12/18/2011 3:06 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

IS there any real difference between intelligence and knowledge?
Can one have knowledge without the requisite intelligence?
Can one have intelligence without knowledge?

That's been a debate in the intelligence-measuring business for many years. Maybe they've figured it out; I haven't tried to keep up.
--
Ed Huntress

Culture effects are also a confounding influence. The best tests of pure intelligence involve tests of reasoning without words, like those asking one to find the object that best "fits in" a set of other similar but different objects presented as examples. There is a large literature on such things.
The most interesting tests are those made to assess animal intelligence. There is also a literature on this.

They are not the same. I have seen lots of analyses by PhD engineers that were rendered nonsense because the engineer didn't know this or that practical detail or effect, usually one outside their area of specialty. The math was perfect, though.
Knowledge without intelligence: Sure. It's called Common Sense, and Cunning if it's knowledge (or instinct, it doesn't matter) about human behaviour.
Intelligence without knowledge: In the absolute, no. One must know something, although many kinds of knowledge are innate. But, as in my example of the PhD engineer above, one may be highly intelligent and yet not know enough.
But, more generally, we are confusing intelligence with effectiveness. We have all met people who were highly intelligence, and yet are totally ineffectual; and people who sound like idiots, and yet always seem to manage to achieve whatever they were attempting.
How does this work? My theory is that effective people somehow understand how the world really works, covering both human behaviour and technology/science, and so spend little time tilting at windmills.
Joe Gwinn
On 12/18/2011 5:31 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I dunno, Joe.
It might have something to do with somehow picking the right wind mills?
On 12/18/2011 4:29 PM, Richard wrote:

Yes. Intelligence is, among other things, an ability to see the relationships between items of knowledge.

Yes, for instance, the Shelly Long character on "Cheers", or our own Hawwk-Ptooey with his oh so precious poli sci BA.

Mensa has developed tests for preliterate children which seem to accurately reflect scores achieved later in life. Not really an answer, though, intelligence needs something to work with and preliterate doesn't mean they haven't already learned useful things.
David
On 12/18/2011 01:06 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

One of the problems, #31 I think, originally had 2 square boxes sitting on the balance beam. It threw everyone off, including the author of the test - there was *no* correct answer among the choices given. The author corrected the error by making the problem easier, with triangles standing on their pointy ends replacing the boxes.
Here is the original version below. Can anyone answer it? Two square boxes, 2 units in width. Box A occupies first boxwidth space left of fulcrum. Box B occupies third boxwidth space right of fulcrum. __ __ | | | | |A | |B | [][][][][][][][][][][][] /\ /__\
If box A weighs 300 kg, how much does box B weigh?
[] 50 kg [] 100 kg [] 150 kg [] 300 kg
On 12/18/2011 01:06 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

The correlation may not mean much.
If intelligent, then knowledge (Valid) If knowledge, then intelligent. (Invalid, and this is all the quiz looks for)

_____ _____ | A | | B | _____ _____|_____| _____ _____|_____| [_____|_____|_____][_____|_____|_____] /\ / \ /____\
If box A weighs 300 kg, how much does box B weigh?

The question above does require a bit of common knowledge to get you started. But it goes beyond that, while remaining simple. The simpleminded won't see it.

60 kg.

They will if they had a course in statics, centroids, and the law of moments. <g>
I see your point, and I agree that knowledge and intelligence are not the same thing, as well as your point that one can have one without the other.
When you look at the statistics, however, you find that the correlations on the whole are very strong. Intelligent people tend to be very curious people. And the not-so-intelligent people who are willing to work extra hard to conquer difficult subjects are not particularly common.
There are some, of course, and they tend to have good discipline or other positive traits. Hats off to them. Just don't let them cloud the general tendencies.
--
Ed Huntress

On 12/19/2011 02:06 PM, Ed Huntress wrote: ...

I guarantee that Michelle A. Terrell sees Box B sitting three times as far from the fulcrum as Box A, but will remain silent.

'Don't know, I plonked him. His spittle was making the floor slippery. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

On 12/19/2011 6:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

There sees to be a lot of that going on.
And it's not even an election year - yet.
But, politics is politics. Even here.
And no politician will ever STFU. even here...

I'm practicing strategic plonking and blocking, and it's starting to work. There really is an undercurrent of metalworking posts going on, after all. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On 12/19/2011 11:32 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Yep. And interesting stuff too.
On 12/18/2011 03:34 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Well, not precisely, due to the thoughtfulness of Interstate Highway planners. What was that buffer zone they gave us, 20 miles?

LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
If box A weighs 300 kg, how much does box B weigh?
[] 50 kg [] 100 kg [] 150 kg [] 300 kg
On 12/19/2011 06:44 PM, Gunner Asch wrote: ...

Yeah, Smryna. Inspired by nearby Smyrna, but railroad officials didn't want our towns to become confused. Someday smart people will be tagged Smrynans, just as stupid people came to be called Morons.

My street goes by three different names. After I explain it carefully, thoroughly, people still can't find my house.

Thanks.