Anvil for sale on cl

Got to love those craigslist ads

EIsmith

Good price for a Hay Budden.

What am I missing?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I agree on the price. The wording of the ad made me chuckle ie: Bud Hayden in god condition & Has not been cut with torch also the idea that the tooling holes could be misplaced. I guess I'm easily amused

Reply to
EIsmith

Oddly enough..Ive seen enough anvils that HAVE been torch cut..and the holes filled in..that I didnt catch that.

But yeah...I guess it was funny looked at from that way.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

From the color on the horn and tail, it appears to have been used on horse shoes or 'fence' art.

Been used and not looking like it is abused indicates quality built in.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

nner Asch (in a more rational moment)

Good one Gunner - I looked at the pic, thought that it looked alright, and just assumed it was my ignorance of anvils that had missed something obvious. Corrected a few errors in your tagline.

Andrew VK3BFA

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Odd..were they spelling or punctuation errors, Tovarish?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

=A0Gunner Asch (in a more rational moment)

Aww Gunner , now you've made me feel like a rat. I know I shouldn't play "poke the winger with a stick" games, but, sometimes, the temptation is just too much. Your like a rabbit in a field, jumping up and down yelling "shoot me shoot me" to a passing kid with a .

22.......irresistible......maybe you Yanks dont do things like this, here its called "stirring" from stirring the pot to see what floats up. Andrew VK3BFA.
Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Of course we dont..least those of us who are veterans. We tend to find a hide, wait for the target, fire one round, then sneak away, fine a new hide, wait for the target, fire one round, then sneak away and so forth and so on.

Its called "long range personell interdiction"

But then..you Brits have encountered that from Yanks before..havent you?

Afterall..the relevant Americanism is "one shot, one kill"

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Since there is not much activity on this list right now, I will chime in:

I grind anvils for people who want them flat:

When I looked at the picture of that anvil, it appeared to me that the face has been peened wider for several inches towards the step end. That means, to me, that the face must have been somewhat soft----or that the anvil has had a LOT of use by someone who knew how to forge. That's not all bad, but it means that there will be a low spot in that area, maybe as much as a tenth of an inch. Some people don't like a "flat" anvil face, but, take it from me, it's a lot easier to forge stuff when you don't have to continually correct for a "swaybacked" face. I just spent 6 days working on one of them.

And, maybe that "slip of the tonque "Bud Hayden" is similar to people selling Rollexxx watches at $25US.

Pete Stanaitis

-------------------

EIsmith wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Cool, a newsgroup! :) ...been hangging out on website forums too much. :/

And since this thread is dead as soon as the CL ad is pulled or expired...

Read a book called... "It came from Jekyl Island". Anybody here read it too? :)

There's a family/group that owns more than half the wealth on the planet. The book is about that group.

We are all just their serfs, see? So, kick back and enjoy life as a slave/serf? :)

Alvin in AZ (libertarian, as if that matters)

Reply to
alvinj

Shrug..Ive seen "spoonerisms" on all sorts of listings, so didnt pay it much attention.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Of course we dont..least those of us who are veterans. =A0We tend to find a hide, wait for the target, fire one round, then sneak away, fine a new hide, wait for the target, fire one round, then sneak away and so forth and so on.

Its called "long range personell interdiction"

But then..you Brits have encountered that from Yanks before..havent you?

Afterall..the relevant Americanism is "one shot, one kill"

Gunner

So, if your that good, why did you need automatic weapons - surely water buffaloes weren't that hard to hit, were they? Andrew VK3BFA.

One could not be a successful Rightwingers without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Rightwingers, a goodly number of Rightwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Gun= ner Asch (in a more lucid moment)

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

I seldom ever carried a fully automatic weapon. It was not my choice of arms.

I will admit to toting around a very sawed off M2 carbine on occasion or a Remington Mod 12 for up close and personal sorts of things where I had the luxury of making a bit of noise, but for the times I couldnt..the High Standard with the supressor on the end of it, or the bicycle chain were imployed. While the High Standard was generally superior to the bicycle chain..there wasnt quite as much satisfaction as employing the bike chain provided. I did employ my entrenching tool on one occasion, but it was not by my choice and it was something of an emergency. I believe Ive mentioned that case before. On occasion I used a blade and an ax..often something necessary during an interogation..but...

Ive had zero interest in obtaining a fully automatic weapon since then. Ive shot quite a few privately owned legal ones over the years..after all..they ARE fun...but never needed one badly enough to go through the rigamoro to purchase one. Or had the money needed to feed one.

Didnt much care for the observation about you Brits having experienced American long range hit and run shooters, did you?

Laugh laugh laugh!

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Bike chain? You never heard of guitar strings? Black Diamond were particularly reliable.

Reply to
John Husvar

Ayup. But they were not stainless steel and tended to rust badly. And during use..they could go so deep as to be really really toug to get free. The bike chain did the same task nicely but didnt take the head off. And it could be used as both a strangler and a whip.