Inverted tapered Endmills?

Awl--

Tapered endmills can be had in quite a variety of angles, but dovetails are more limited. Are there inverted taper/ dovetail-type cutters in a variety of angles, like

10 deg? Sources? If they are in MSC et al, my eyes musta just glazed over.... :) tia.
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in news:J75ni.10307$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

Might try misumi, they have some oddball stuff that most other people don't carry.

Reply to
Anthony

--Don't you wish you had a Quorn grinder? ;-) Also check with woodworking stores: you might be able to find a dovetail bit that will do the trick.

Reply to
steamer

Well, since ahm too broke to spend any money, for now I put the the mat'l (1/2" sq 4140) in the 4th axis, via a sq 5C. Have it rotate the +/- 10 degrees for the sides the tool would have milled.

In many ways preferable, as I think most would agree straight flute to be fundamentally better than tapered in and of itself, but it also makes the production a one-by-one vs. a multi-part fixture.

Clearly, tho, just from a tool-change/time-consumption pov, eventually the reverse- tapered tool would be quite prefereable.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Boy, lemme tell you, you pay mightily, in the 4th axis, production-wise.

6 tool changes per piece, with NO amortization of the tool-change time over multiple pieces.... Never really thought of this, until Heinz Putz emphasized this so strongly in his programming videos.

AND, altho the fadal 4th axis itself seems robust, the snap-handle collet closing system seems to leave a little to be desired. Sometimes you gotta crank the collar as well as the handle to change pieces, which is real effing pita.

BUT, You get nice pieces. :)

Bring yer coffee, tho. :(

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I think you'll find -10 deg burrs in MSC, which may work for you.

Reply to
Polymer Man

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in news:EGsni.13568$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

I'm sure once you get a little cash, about any of the EM manufacturers can whip you up some cutters.

Reply to
Anthony

"Proctologically Violated)." wrote in message news:bIuni.13665$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

PV, After going through the tool change bit on the Fadal I went to a trade show and watched a machine with a sub one second chip to chip time. It was awesome!

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

PV

I took a glance a KBC tools and they carry 45 and 60 degree dovetail cutters and i've seen them listed from a bunch of other suppliers

you might want to try looking at the catalog again after having a few glasses of non yonkers water.

and FYI if your application can use router bits router dovetail cutters are 18 degrees

Reply to
Brent