Fruit Juicing Machines

Anyone do their own fruit juicing and have a machine they are really happy with? I'm looking to purchase one.

Based on what I get paid price isn't an object and spending several thousand dollars might be something I'd consider if the machine works very well, you don't have to do a ton of prep work and the machine is easy to clean.

Reply to
Joe788

I remember the first time I got a job that took me *above* the poverty line. Of course, I was 18 when that happened, not in my 50's. LOL!

Reply to
Joe788

Why not go down to the salvation army and see if they have anything they can give you. Do you have electricity in your alley? Will one of the other cadcam bloggers try to steal you cord, to sell for the copper? Good luck with that.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

BD, Here's the Q:

Is jb REALLY this much of an idiot and self-obsessed asshole, or is jb actually a wiley coyote, setting us (ackshooly, FOUR ngs worth of "us") to hump his leg?? fyi, even rip-off juicers don't cost thousands of dollars.....

But here's the skinny on juicers, which you will never read anywhere on the web or anywhere else:

Juicers are pointless, ultimately counterproductive. Yes indeedy.....

From a pure-juice pov, they are actually about 1/2 a notch better than store-bought juices, but that is only 1/10 the story. They are ultimately a VERY POOR dieting or nutritional longterm strategy, AND juicing is likely a WHOLE lot more expensive than store-bought juice!

One day I'll juice 2 qts of OJ from oranges, and see how the cost of those goddamm oranges compares to the $2.50 you pay for Tropicana et al. I'll bet the juicing costs $7.50.

Compared to eating the vegetable/fruit itself, you are actually LOSING a good fraction of the whole-food benefit (FIBER!!!, phytochemicals in the skin, swallowing the ocasional seed, other vits left behind in pulp, etc), and are just basically consuming a relatively high-calorie sugar water with a few vites.

AND, the GLYCEMIC INDEX of juice compared to the whole veggie/fruit is an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE higher!!! holy shit.....

IN ADDITION to this, juicing vegetables turns what was a "sensible calorie" from eating the whole fruit/veggie into an INsensible calorie of fluidized sugar, meaning that your "calorie stat" for calories/satiety remains unaffected by the juice. This is true for all juices/sodas/beverages (ceptin mebbe 2,000 calorie smoothies/shakes), and is why water/seltzer water is perhaps THE best -- and cheapest -- diet strategy anyone can employ.

Juicers are actually a DIRECT vehicle for simply consuming MORE CALORIES!! AND ON TOP OF THAT, they INDIRECTLY cause you to consume more calories by then allowing you put more calorie-dense foods on your plate, in their place!

Not saying juicing is going to kill you, or that it is bad PER SE -- in some limited special cases it might have a distinct benefit, as there is nothing at all wrong with the *juice itself*. BUT, as an overall diet/eating *strategy and behavior*, for the vast majority of people juicing is not only pointless, it is distinctly counterproductive.

The bottom nutritional line to juicing is that it is really just another nutrition industry mindfuck, quite counterproductive to the longterm goal of weight loss, reduced calories, and overall health.

AND, is butt another ecological blemish, when you consider the energy cost of its use (admittedly small) but more importantly the environmental cost of manufacturing ANYTHING..... esp. something that accomplishes less than nothing.

Imo, juicers make the high-tech housewife feel like she's accomplishing sumpn sumpn, or the self-obsessed bachelor feel like he's being more responsible. Or idiots like jb feeling like mebbe less of an idiot.

What better way to kick the consumer in his mindfucked ass than to get hundreds of dollars UP FRONT for a strategy that

  1. Is even more expensive long term!
  2. Is nutritionally inferior to the whole food
  3. Is counterproductive to vritually EVERY aspect of dieting/longterm health, outlined above.
  4. has an inordinately high glycemic index
  5. Wastes energy, in usage and from its very manufacture
  6. Is time consuming
  7. Is just another piece of mis-information, distracting us from our true prime directive, which is to round up all Wall Street execs and corrupt politicians and.... oh, but I digress.....

Imo, juicers are really only useful to the chef who is making custom drinks/foods, in a restaurant/catering type setting.

That's it, in a, uh, fruit-skin.

A note on store-bought juices, drinks, et al:

The typical 24 oz Arizona can (99c), has 360 calories -- !!!! I used to drink 3 of those a day!!! And couldn't figger out why I couldn't lose weight.... goodgawd.....

I have since noticed that a very high percentage of people drinking these Arizona bombshells are overweight -- and/or cheap, lured by the 99c.

'Course, nuthin beats 79c for a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi, eh?? Cheaper than water!!!

Just one can a day of Arizona sets you up to gain 2/3 of a lb per week, OR at least thwarts all weight loss attempts. Add to this the artificial flavoring, sweeteners, coloring, caffeine, the HIGH levels of phosphoric acid in cola-style sodas, and you have a full-on assault on your waistline/health.

Energy drinks are *absolutely the worst*.

1,000 calorie Latte, inyone?? Here's a very worthwhile eye-opening link:

Man, no wonder I'm not invited to parties, or even to dinner.... Even the family leaves me at home!! goodgawd.....

Reply to
Existential Angst

I agree with part of what you're saying. Eating the WHOLE food is usually better. A very high quality blender is essential for me, as I like to drink a lot of smoothies. I'd much rather throw a bunch of fruit in the blender than juice it. Some stuff it's nice to juice though, like carrots. If you juice fresh, raw, organic vegetables, you can get some seriously potent and nutritious juice from it. Juicing is also good for people that want to cleanse and purge their systems, and for "fasting". I did a lot of research on juicers before I bought one, and ended up getting an Omega. It does more than just juicing, and is very easy to clean.

sittingduck

I've taken a definate prefrence to steamed frozen ( As opposed to canned ) veggies lately--IMO the quality has improved quite a bit over the last decade or so and a nice thing is there's hardly any waste--take what you want, reseal the bag with a twisty tie and put the rest back into the freezer...

But if the fresh is reasonably priced I will definately use them instead--carrots, broc, onions, peppers......and there's no problem with adding say a handful of frozen veggies to the mess maybe some peas or lima....a little butter or olive oil after cooking perhaps a splash of lemon juice, some salt and pepper, parsley flakes..etc...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

He's already a fruit.

Reply to
Cliff

I've read all of those anti-juicer opinions in the past.

If a juicer is not for you, then no problem.

But they are not as bad as your post seems to be indicating.

The nutritional value of food has dropped greatly over the last several decades in large part due to the depletion of the soil in which food is grown. Transportation, storage, and processing add to the problem.

Juicing allows one to get a lot more nutrients than would normally be possible just eating the food of today. Basically a juicer can in effect concentrate the nutrients in foods. (ie; It's easier to drink two cups of orange juice than eat a 1/2 dozen oranges). And as long as you wash your fruits or vegetables before juicing, the juice will have a lot more nutrients and is at least as safe as anything you can buy in the store.

I've caught colds and knocked them out by juicing/drinking before bed. I'm back to normal in the morning, and this is definitely not possible with solid food.

There are various combinations of juices one can make with a juicer to help with a lot of problems involving deficiencies in the body.

So basically, if the soil food is generally grown in wasn't depleted of the necessary minerals we would have no need for juicers. But that is not the case.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

[...]

Since my reply is not quoting your post properly, I'll do my best here:

I didn't say juicers or juicing was bad in itself, just that it is a counterproductive *longterm strategy*.

Dropped nutritional value? Only in minerals, perhaps, and to the extent that vitamin biosynthesis depends on those minerals. AND, you would have to support the extent of this claim. I don't doubt it is true, but I question the extent.

I think it's a stretch to justify juicing solely on depleted soil et al, as you indicated in your last point.

The reason juicing apparently gives you *more nutrients* is because it is also giving you more calories. MANY more calories.

BUT, having said that, one of Bonker's videos seemed to show a lot of the fruit being consumed, even the seeds. I'm not sure what is finally being separated out at the end, but if a juicer/blender could extract the internals from skin and seeds, that could indeed be an inneresting plus.

Knocking out colds? Are you sure? Sheeit, I have trouble knocking out colds with tens upon tens of thousands of units of A, or full grams upon grams of C. Not saying it's not true, but you gotta be careful in case studies of 1. :)

Can juicing be therapeutic? No doubt, but you gotta know A LOT about food chemistry, a WHOLE lot. OR be really lucky. :)

So my points essentially remain: As a mainstay, it's more hype than practicality. First, most people aren't likely to stick with juicing, simply from good ole Merkin Inertia. Second, even if they did, they would be worse off in the long run, for the reasons I outlined. Insensible calories is now a major issue, and in the context of overweight, glycemic index also has potentiated effects.

If you or Sitting Duck gotta have yer smoothies, or your really know the ins and outs of nutritional/food therapy, or got lucky and stumbled on a good "formula", then yeah, a juicer can be useful. But not as a mainstay for the average consumer.

OR, if this is the ONLY way someone is going to eat fruits/veggies, then OK, you gotta do what you gotta do.

My advice for nutritionally concerned consumers is to learn how to buy and take vits/mins intelligently. A good start is Costco's/Kirkland Mature or Performance Multi's -- believe it or not.

MY multivitamin (if I ever get my numbed ass/legs off the effing pot) will be Da Nutritonal Bomb, but of course most people will not be able to recognize it as such, so it will get lost in fray, along with all True Facts lost in the sea of False Facts. So I'll have lots of inventory for me and mine..... :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

I've had a few sniffles that lasted only a few hours too. Without a jucer.

Reply to
Cliff

Zinc may have an effect.

Reply to