Iron Worker Question

I want to make a tight radius 90 degree bend in some heavy bar stock.

The purpose of the bend is to make a set of "new and improved" forks for a forklift attachment for the back of my pickup.

I have in mind to heat the bend location to a red heat and then make the bend on a friend's Iron Worker machine.

I know next to nothing about those machines. But they are clearly a cold forming tool.

Is making a hot bend in one of those machines an issue?

In other words, is there a risk to the machine? Such as losing temper in the jaws, for example?

Thank you!

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon Tuck

As a general rule you require a vee dies that is eight times the metal thickness across its opening. For a half inch bar you need a four inch wide die. You can cheat on this rule but it often damages the die. Bending it hot will reduce the load but again will damage the die. I am not sure what thickness material you are using but why not weld it? Another way is to bend you bar on a hydraulic press. You will need at least thirty tons capacity. Set a couple of two inch round bars four inches apart then weld to a plate. Set that unit on the bottom and weld up a flat bar on edge that attaches to your ram. You now have a press brake with a lot more tonnage than your ironworker. Some ironworkers like the Skotchman can take such home made affairs under their lever arm.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman