Is Stainless for BBQs really better?

Well I'm dreaming of building a BBQer and playing with the TIG again. (slow cook not grilling - not that there is anything wrong with that)
And I'm curious, is stainless steel (I know there are many different type$) a better material than "regular" steel (gazillion different types)?
Some thoughts / questions:
Does SS really hold up better at the high temperature spots like the fire box?
- I can appreciate that it could be better for thinner, less hot areas (like the top cover) which would rust through quicker with regular steel.
- Personally I'd rather see black oxide/ brown "patina" rather than discolored/heat crazed SS.
- Are there any health considerations for common *bare* steels in BBQs aka alloying chemicals?
PsS
-------------------------------------------------------------------- A fictional account of how to drastically reform the financial world... More at http://PinstripeSniper.blogspot.com and if that gets banned, check www.PinstripeSniper.com
On Sep 12, 1:51pm, snipped-for-privacy@nocando.com (Pinstripe Sniper) wrote:

Stainless is much better than regular steel and some stainless is much better at high temperatures than other stainless steels. But stainless may not be cost effective for a BBQ. If possible I get steel at the local scrap yard. Regular steel is 30 cents a lb and stainless is a dollar a lb. So 1/8 thick stainless is about the same cost as 3/8 thick regular steel.
For the fire box, I would use regular steel and line it with fire brick.
Dan