Is Stainless for BBQs really better?

Well I'm dreaming of building a BBQer and playing with the TIG again. (slow cook not grilling - not that there is anything wrong with that)

And I'm curious, is stainless steel (I know there are many different type$) a better material than "regular" steel (gazillion different types)?

Some thoughts / questions:

Does SS really hold up better at the high temperature spots like the fire box?

- I can appreciate that it could be better for thinner, less hot areas (like the top cover) which would rust through quicker with regular steel.

- Personally I'd rather see black oxide/ brown "patina" rather than discolored/heat crazed SS.

- Are there any health considerations for common *bare* steels in BBQs aka alloying chemicals?

PsS

-------------------------------------------------------------------- A fictional account of how to drastically reform the financial world... More at

and if that gets banned, check

Pinstripe Sniper

Stainless is much better than regular steel and some stainless is much better at high temperatures than other stainless steels. But stainless may not be cost effective for a BBQ. If possible I get steel at the local scrap yard. Regular steel is 30 cents a lb and stainless is a dollar a lb. So 1/8 thick stainless is about the same cost as 3/8 thick regular steel.

For the fire box, I would use regular steel and line it with fire brick.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster