Is this a car or a motorcycle

Ignoramus22485

That may be true , but you're required to wear the same protective gear as a motorcycle rider in most places .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Actually, trikes or motorcycles with sidecars, are considered.... motorcycles. At least in California. They only require a class C license. Other states may vary.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

In NJ, 3-wheelers are registered as motorcycles. A helmet is technically required but there's a bill in the legislature to eliminate that for enclosed 3-wheelers. I don't know the details of that one.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That one is a car conversion, that had had its engine, conveniently, in the back.

Ignoramus3021

It still would be registered as a motorcycle in NJ. We have quite a few 3-wheelers of various types. I even saw one of Morgan's retro SS models a month ago. It's a replica of their mid-1930s model. I think it sells for around $40,000.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Volkswagon (original) bugs are popular for a trike build . Some years are more desirable , because the differential can be flipped over and the motor mounted in front of the transaxle . Makes for much better weight distribution , and keeps the front wheel on the ground where it belongs .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

In Canada it would be a car - if anything. A motorcycle has no enclosing bodywork, and both driver and passenger(s) must sit astride the seat - no benches or buckets.

No idea what they would call it in Russia or wherever that thing was.

Reply to
clare

Not quite true. The Bombardier 3 wheel roadster is a motorcycle, as is a wide-glyde Harly conversion, or the Honda Gide Wing 3 wheel conversions, and the Harley Serv-a-car. If it has bodywork it is a car. If it has "bench"seats it is a car - -

-
Reply to
clare

That is federal. However drivers licencing is provincial.

3wheel motorcycles require a separate licence up here in Ontario too. There is limited speed MC, (ML)MC, (M) and 3 wheel MC (MM) licence - and none are driveable on a standard automotive licence.

What was a Moped is now a limited speed MC, and can no longer be driven on a standard driver's licence. )scooter or moped up to 70 KPH and 50cc

Reply to
clare

I want to see the guy the front seat fits! Big guy or long armed.

Motolimo

Mart>

Martin Eastburn

AFAIK, in most states trikes get registered as motorcycles -- you need four wheels to be a "car".

But that varies by jurisdiction. So ask your local DMV/whatever.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It's a real mess in the US. The only real standards are the commercial licenses, that's because those are now controlled at the federal level.

covers it pretty well. They do skip a lot of the endorsements though.

It was a big thing in the RV community a while ago. Folks going into Florida were being pulled over because they were driving out of class. Seems that those fancy new trucks that offered "best towing in class" had a GVW over 26,000 pounds. Which puts them into the CDL weight range.

The drivers were being pulled in, the vehicle rating checked and if you were driving one that had a GVW over 26K you got to pay a fine PLUS you had to find someone who could legally drive it !!

Reply to
Steve W.

Here in PA it would be a motorcycle. 3 wheels, hand throttle, and handle bars for sterring. thus a motorcycle.

The Can-Am Spyder is a motorcycle in most states I beleive. Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

That is part of the spec in Ontario too. Sit astride, hand throttle, handlebar steering - a few other qualifications that put the Morgan into the "automobile" class - along with that" russian?" abortion in the first post.

Reply to
clare

I heard it is treated as a car from the front two wheels in TX. Doesn't need a motorcycle license.

Check before you believe it, sometimes you hear crap in your ears.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn