It Worked !!!

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 22:08:08 -0800, Larry Jaques

Check out the Pegazair 100. stall speed under 30, cruise over 100 knots. Take off and land in the same football field without turning around. No such thing as a crosswind landing - cross runway solves that problem!!
I'm into year 17 building - hopefully we will finish it this summer.

It's interesting that WW1-level aircraft performance is still acceptable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_S.E.5
" James McCudden, an ace pilot, was famous for his prolific fine-tuning of his aircraft in order to produce improved performance from it; McCudden was able to increase the top speed by 9 mph and to raise the service ceiling from the standard 17,000 ft to 20,000 ft. His adaptions included replacing the standard pistons with high compression versions, shortening the exhaust (saving weight and improving exhaust scavenging), and changes to mixture, ignition and other engine settings as well as fitting a scavenged propeller spinner (which he himself credited as gaining 3 mph alone) ."
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7847230-flying-fury
-jsw

I've always enjoyed that little chat between the pilot and tower: <click>"Wow, that's a wide runway, but it's so =short=!" <click>"Turn 90, pilot."
30? Have you seen the heavily-modded planes in the Valdez STOL FlyIns? Frank Knapp's beauty flies unimaginably short.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Jwde4EAVw
10'4" landing? That may be a tad less than 30mph and a football field.

Do you have flaperons and slats? I hope you've been flying others in the interim. As a USAF brat, I probably would have been an aircraft mechanic if I hadn't graduated from high school cum laude into alcoholism, so autos it was. Never got a license after sobering up, either. <sigh>
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

After half a dozen more-or-less crashes I timed the hang glider landing flare just right and made a zero-length standup landing atop a boulder. Then I switched to the safer, saner sport of dirt biking.
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 13:15:49 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Impressive. Have you seen the video of the batwing suits? I watched one where a dozen or more went down the mountain paralleling the trail they climbed up. There was a bright splotch halfway down where one guy evidently got a little too close to the boulders. Can't find it on YT right now. <shudder>
The lone flight of my handbuilt (bamboo carpet-pole + sheet) hang glider got me off the ground and horizontal before folding and dropping me harmlessly on the grass.
I raced my friend on their Combat Wombats around a dirt course in my '62 Corvair convertible. And after trying my other friend's 400 Husky just once, I swore off racing dirt. I was more at home on a Hodaka, thankyouverymuch. That Husky was nicknamed "The Trencher" for good reason, and it had a toggle switch 1/8-turn throttle which scared the bejesus out of me. I prefer 70% dirt/30% air, not 5/95%, thanks.
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 09:32:39 -0800, Larry Jaques

watch for the "patriot" Pegazair - a picture in this article towards the end: http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/32_4/builder_spotlight/STOL-Mods-How-Short-Can-You-Go_21223-1.html
See: http://guclip.com/watch?v EtM3hDbENDN1E
See the Patriot get off the ground at .00 ;44 in this one, and the landing at4:27
http://guclip.com/watch?v=SW84QUxJRlo4YWs

Love the Helium Fill Port decal. Auto-slat-deploy is cool.
Well, I used to love them. Egad, the cost! http://www.airframesalaska.com/Alaskan-Bushwheels-s/1917.htm

Resource Limit Is Reached The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
On Tue, 06 Mar 2018 21:47:05 -0800, Larry Jaques
http://pegazair.on-the-net.ca/Will%20Fox/High%20Flight.htm
My project is also on the pegazair.on-the-net.ca site.
The website is a bit out of date.
Also see: http://pegazair-builders.info/

I've always had the same problem with masks causing fogging of my eyeglasses, and learned early on to tighten the top straps 2x that of the lowers to prevent it.
Those air controllers likely all had their heads at 45-degree angles looking at the altitude and airspeeds during his flight. Love to have a picture from the tower right about then. LOL
The photos he took felt familiar as I read the blurb about each. I've been both in Los Alamos and up the Sandia Peak aerial tramway. The tram's a hoot. It's 2-80' off the ground for the first let, then it goes over the first tower and heads off over a 1,500' sheer cliff. All the women in the car gasped and moved to the middle of the car while I got the best view right at the window, looking down.

Look at all the Cleco porcupines!

Oh, jeeze. Was anything salvageable from Will's crash? Maybe the seats and instrument cluster? Speaking of which, that's a busy dash panel.
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

So, they do have slats, and I could see the massive flaps at the back. What engine? (Was it your Subaru we discussed a short while back?)
Now I'll finish watching this review at Oshkosh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkkLFiT1Dw0&list=PLaLgn7ov9PruN80bqzM0eQ40ssOAc7INV&index=3

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:27:38 -0800, Larry Jaques

We have a Corvair set up to go in. It has automatic leading edge slats and fullspan flapperons - on 150 square feet of wing.
The "hot" ones are running 235s and 320s

That might power it OK. VBG

Lycoming$ are nice, I hear.
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
On Tue, 06 Mar 2018 21:40:35 -0800, Larry Jaques

90 HP at 3000 RPM at 72F and 1055 ft ASL - basically the same output as a 100HP rated O200

You can completely "zero time" a CorvAir for the cost of ONE jug on a Lyco$auru$

Yeah, linen is the stuff I saw 50+ years ago.

Costly stuff. I've seen machines laying down carbon fiber tape, but is sheet fabric available in carbon now?
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

Thanks.
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

Try AT&T: who nearly lost the major CO/POP in Akron to same: <
https://youtu.be/tgdlxIBPfkQ

https://youtu.be/tgdlxIBPfkQ

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:29:21 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

You win. ;)
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

18 Amps thru 4 Ohms requires 72V. That's quite some battery charger!
On 2/24/2018 9:41 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

18 amps through 1 ohm requires 18v. 18 amps through 1.5 ohm requires 12v. I doubt that someone without special equipment could measure resistance to some be so close. Most don't zero the machine or rely on an old battery to provide a reference.
Martin

Agreed, I have a DVM that reads 5 Ohms or more with the probes shorted.
OTOH, I've measured the drop in milliVolts across the 12 AWG wiring to my solar panels while passing 1.00A or 5.00A through it, and then for comparison measured the wire resistance with this meter . (Amazon.com product link shortened) The UT61E's reading matched within 0.1 Ohm and showed where I still had 14 AWG wire in the system. -jsw