J-Head on Van Norman/Nichols MIll?

Has anybody put a full sized Bridgeport type milling head on a Van Norman
#12 or a Nichols Hand Miller? If I put one on the Nichols the mill will be
dedicated to that head, which will greatly simplify the installation. The
Van Norman I would like to keep using in the traditional modes if possible,
and I can't envision how that huge head could go on there and swing out of
the way for horizontal milling, for example. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Reply to
ATP
Mike how are things? Getting back into the shop these days? I have to sell off some of th extras to make some room for a few projects. I saw a J head for $200 last week, I could take a close look if you want. I think the J head on the nichols would be a bit top heavy, I have not been face to face with a #12. I had a guy talk to me about a Van Norman 1/2 but that was a few weeks ago and I am sure thats an OLD machine. I think you would do best to pick up a good vertical mill, I use mine more than I use my Nichols, I don't use my drill press to much with the mill sitting there. Prices have still been very low on these machines up in our neck fo the woods.
Reply to
Waynemak
I picked up some J-type heads. I probably should have just waited for the right vertical mill to come along. Sometimes I can't resist a project but don't always have time to finish it. Last night I made an auger extension for my posthole digger, for the purpose of stirring cesspools. Probably one of the more practical uses of my shop:-)
Reply to
ATP
You picked up some?? More than 1?
Reply to
Waynemak
4, two are pretty close to complete, the third is not too bad, but the fourth is for parts.
Reply to
ATP
You are better than me at collecting "stuff"
Reply to
Waynemak