"Jack of all trades" business card?

Is it possible to describe yourself as a "jack of all trades" or a tinkerer without evoking the negative connotations of those names?
Your thoughts appreciated.
On 10/08/2010 05:27 AM, Denis G. wrote:

Your question almost answers itself.
I don't feel much negative connotation with the term "jack of all trades" although some might. Call yourself a "tinkerer", though, and I'll think of you as someone who derives joy from turning screws and pounding nails without ever actually getting something to work. I can sympathize with that, but if I'm spending money to have work done I'm spending money to have the work _finished_, not just messed with.
Describe your target market in more detail, and perhaps someone can help more.
In high tech, an engineer who spans disciplines and who can ride herd on the architecture of an entire system is called a "systems engineer", "system architect" or other name with the word "system" in it. Effective systems engineers have to be "jacks of all trades" within engineering, although they're often "jack of all trades, master of one".
In home repair, a guy who can come in the door, fix a leaking hose to a wash machine, tighten a door hinge or two, repair an outlet, and clean the gutters on his way out is called a "Handyman".
If you're addressing a market that doesn't seem to have built-in monikers, consider using adjectives related to "versatile", "cross-discipline", etc.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

How about "practical engineer" or "Mr Fixit"
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 16:11:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Cross-discipline sounds a bit kinky.

So the rest of us are impractical engineers?

On 10/08/2010 01:57 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I have known some profoundly impractical engineers. Not so bad that they needed cross-discipline, though.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Some are imprctical, cross and poorly disciplined, though. :)
enough left over to pay them.

Some engineers benefit from cross training. <g>
"Denis G." wrote:

Actually, they need to be un-cross trained. ;-)
enough left over to pay them.
Tim Wescott wrote:

And that's why my business is a "Handyman and Repair" business and my motto is "I can fix almost anything !" . And the business is starting to grow ... got kinda nervous there for a while , but happy clients are your best advertisement , and I'm starting to get a few passing my name out .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
CaveLamb wrote:

In the attic. (Red Green)
enough left over to pay them.

Flashing on the IBM ad of a few years back:
"I am, I am Superman, and I can fix anything . . ."

I've talked with people who've gone into business for themselves and it sorta terrifies me. I don't think that I've ready for that leap. I like helping people fix things too. I repaired the washing machine for someone in my wife's lab. One of her kids socks found it's way into the pump and it was jammed up. Simple fix, but you had to guess where to look and not assume it was going to be something like a bad circuit board, etc. I didn't want to take money. I was just happy to get the thing going again.
Denis G. wrote:

This isn't the first time for me . Before I got into cabinet shop work I ran a home repair/flooring install business . Got tired of the hustle , worked for somebody else the last 18 or so years . But people just aren't all that interedted in hiring a man my age , and so here I am , back in business again . Got a few more skills now too , last go-round I didn't have all the metalworking machinery . Recently , I've been fabbing and installing lock boxes on AC condenser cages . Couple of bucks for material , and I'm getting 45 bucks each for them . Works out to just under $30/hour average ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Cool!
I met someone up here in the Milwaukee area who started a small business fabbing oil coolers for English motorcycles. He sold me his HF 3-in-1 shear-brake-roller when he got something better to work with.
Denis G. wrote:

I've been working on my Harley , a rubbermount touring model . Replacing a drive belt , which involves a partial disassembly of the rear suspension . Took some measurements today , I might be making a frame/suspension part out of SS for a bud who rides a similar model . I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to program that part on a CNC mill and walk away ... and come back about an hour later and take a finished part worth about 200 bucks a pair off the machine . But I don't have a CNC mill - yet .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

I'll bet that few people could have predicted what technology could have brought with personal computers. Maybe someday CNC machines will be as common as personal computers. I'd like to get my hands on one too, but at this stage I'm probably over-reaching. I'm still learning and having fun with the manual machines that I have.
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:36:52 -0700, Denis G. wrote:

Well, if plastic is good enough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing
Cheers! Rich

Wait until they perfect the molten metal spray head. <g>
Metal spray equipment already exists, maybe not a good choice for the desktop 3-D printer model, though.
--
WB