"Jack of all trades" business card?

Bbbut, he don't -lay- bricks, Ricky.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They'll survive ANYTHING!

Once upon a time, someone was a minister and the card read "Marrials and Burials".

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Richard J Kinch wrote in news:Xns9E0CE7784458someconundrum@216.196.97.131:

The friend who rescued maidens & slew dragons (see earlier post), later on became a sort of general purpose assistant & troubleshooter to the CEO of a software company. He dealt with problems of any sort, from accounting to logistics to vendor issues, etc. His business card said "Myrmidon"

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Well, yeah, but General Products wasn't a JOAT outfit. General Services was. "Want somebody murdered, don't call General Services. For anything else . . . We also walk dogs."

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not quite "anything". Beowulf and Elephant busted one once... I think that was in Flatlander.

Reply to
CaveLamb

drum@216.196.97.131:

Doug, that's an interesting word that I'll have to investigate more. From the link I don't see how it relates to someone who would "wear many hats", but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Reply to
Denis G.

Ok thanks Lloyd. More to think about.

Reply to
Denis G.

I grew up in the era of "Dennis the Menace". It's hard for me to stay out of trouble, but I get your point.

Reply to
Denis G.

A friend of mine who was an engineer once told me that when times are good and there's lots of demand for workers, it's good to specialize. When jobs are scarce and times are bad, you generalize and take on many roles. He has his own company now teaching people how to kayak and leading tours. He's now his own employer.

Reply to
Denis G.

Whenever people ask me, "And what do you do?" I say, "Oh, pretty much anything I can get away with. ;-)"

Once, I got invited to a party where everyone was from some other country or another. I was milling around the back yard, some guy says "Hi," I say "Hi," and he asks, "And what are you doing?"

I refrained from saying, "Standing here in the back yard talking to some guy whose first language clearly isn't idiomatic English!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Jack of all trades...master of some.

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Denis G." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@26g2000yqv.googlegroups.com:

It was much more appropriate for his position of universal underling.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I've been working on my Harley , a rubbermount touring model . Replacing a drive belt , which involves a partial disassembly of the rear suspension . Took some measurements today , I might be making a frame/suspension part out of SS for a bud who rides a similar model . I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to program that part on a CNC mill and walk away ... and come back about an hour later and take a finished part worth about 200 bucks a pair off the machine . But I don't have a CNC mill - yet .

Reply to
Snag
[ ... ]

Sounds like a good job -- but why do they *need* locks on the cages? Someone stealing Freon? (It is hard enough to get these days so perhaps that *is* what is happening. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'll bet that few people could have predicted what technology could have brought with personal computers. Maybe someday CNC machines will be as common as personal computers. I'd like to get my hands on one too, but at this stage I'm probably over-reaching. I'm still learning and having fun with the manual machines that I have.

Reply to
Denis G.

Well, if plastic is good enough:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thieves are destroying A/C systems to steal the copper tubing.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Make 'em smile. "Jack of all trades that don't involve little electronic bits, waste plumbing, or shoveling natural fertilizer."

You can undoubtedly come up with something better than my suggestion.

-- Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

Wait until they perfect the molten metal spray head.

Reply to
Denis G.

Metal spray equipment already exists, maybe not a good choice for the desktop 3-D printer model, though.

Reply to
Wild_Bill