Joining two outlet plates

Hello.

For the electric bicycle testing an AC sine wave inverter, a standard AC dimmer, and two 30 W dimmable compact fluorescent tubes, I need a dashboard.

I've got an outlet box in the center of the space ahead of the handle bars, and have tried joining one triple gang metal switch plate, upside down, with two single gang metal switch plates, right side up, on either side. I used silicone glue in opposing blobs that rose above the edge, then taped them together.

Then I got stupid with it. I shot in some isocyanurate polyurethane foam, which doesn't cure in confined spaces. Yuk.

The silicone glue alone would do but these are metal and I wondered about metal craft to join them.

I can apply tack strips to my hand and grind the plates against silicon carbide grit paper on the surface plate or kitchen countertop until the edges are clean, but will they be coplanar enough to make a tight solder bond when soldered along the edge with a gun?

I can make some measurements and four bushings and rivet the plates together flush with copper rivets blind top side, maybe both sides. To do this, I'd make up some spacers of, say 5/8 inch aluminum rod with countersunk holes both sides. But two rivets doth not a triangle make, they would twist. Or could. I am not considering the spacers, just two plates joined by two pins. With the spacers, and possibly some glue, they wouldn't twist.

Can you think of any other way?

(On each flat face to the side goes Velcro or magnetic mount sheet and a DMM. Two DMMs measure current and voltage)

To read about my senior project at ODU, Go to Google Groups and enter dgoncz along with any or some of these words: ultracapacitor electric bicycle motor generator fluorescent energy display

Reply to
Doug Goncz

I would purchase the correct size bud minibox (the kind with two halves that clamshell together) and eliminate the issue. The thicker, die-cast ones are nice too, they would be pretty weather resistant.

Jim

jim rozen